Old 05-25-2006   #1
Indian Hills, Colorado
Lower Lower Clear Creek

I'm taking a beginer to Golden today. I recall hearing that lower lower clear creek upstream from the Hwy 6 is a nice Class 2/3- stretch. Where do you putin for this? Just below the diversion dam?

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #2
The put in is just below Tunnel 1. The water is a little bit pushy right now and there a few decent waves. No holes to worry about.

KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #3
sometimes people put in at tunnel # 1,there is a pull out on the uptream end where you can dart across the highwayor at the lower end there is a bigger pullout but you miss a couple rapids unless you carry up.Anywhere below the dam drop you can find a parking space would work. Town run of CC is II with a few scattered 3's at higher flows,watch out for shopping carts and pallets.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #4
I don't know if I would call it "nice Class II / III" at this water level. A beginner might struggle at the top section just below the diversion dam. Also there is a downed tree stretching across 90% of the river at one point... no big deal, but a bad situation if a newbie can't make it over to the far left side in time. All in all, it's pretty tame Class III. If your newbie is comfortable in the boat, give it a try. If your newbie is a genuine newbie, maybe consider something else or wait for the water level to drop.

I heard the South Platte at Union Chuttes is running. There is a great beginner run from C-470 down to Platte River Bar and Grill that you may want to consider.

Just one man's opinion.
J Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #5
Indian Hills, Colorado
I looked on google and the diversion dam appears to be about halfway between Tunnel 1 and Hwy 6. Portage right? Where's the tree?

Old 05-25-2006   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004

The tree that was 90% across the river has been cut or broken, and it is now only about 40%. This is just before you get into Golden. At current levels its got at least one beefy class III for a beginner that has an elbow kind of turn. I'd be a bit wary of bringing a rank beginner down there now as the current is pretty fast, and swims would probably mean gear would end up in golden or on trees. Last week some folks were fishing paddles off of the tree strainer because beginners swam. I did it last year and someone swam too. They thought II/III- and were wide eyed and hiked the boat up to the road after the swim. If they have a decent roll and they are gung ho and aggressive they will probably love it though. Have fun!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #7
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
it has been awhile but i learned on the section between kermits down and the start of the narrows/black rock. I think the rafter folks call the big turn out the big easy. Its the section just below the split to black hawk and on up to I-70. They pulled the big rocks out for a few miles and it made for some nice bouncy water but few eddies. like i said it has been 10 years or so but it treated me good.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #8
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Lower CC

Above 500cfs I would not take a beginner on Clear Creek...ANYWHERE! The rocks are too sharp and eddies get pretty small in all sections. Swimming at Union or Pueblo is way less traumatic. I've paddled the whole canyon the last few days, and it's fast and bouncy the whole way, even tunnel one to town.

swollenmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #9
, Colorado
Hey Dan. If you put in at Tunnel 1, there is really only one rapid...which is right at the get go. The tree is in a mellow section and is easily ran on the left. The diversion is not a dam...just a diversion channel that goes off to the's easy to spot, so just run the creek to the right, no portage necessary. The old low head dam that does require a portage (unless you're solid class IV+ looking for class V consequences) is farther up stream...nothing to worry about if you're putting in at tunnel 1. What I'd recommend if you're considering it, is to park at the upstream side of tunnel 1 and walk around the tunnel by the river. You'll get a good look of the first rapid, which is really the only rapid of consequence. Wood can sometimes get stuck in this one as well.

p.s., I might be at Golden later this afternoon, so I'll keep an eye out for you if you want additional boat chasing support.
IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006   #10
Indian Hills, Colorado
Thanks for all the beta guys. I usually take beginers on Deckers, but flows are sooo low this year. This buddy of mine got a whiplash for his graduation and he's been using it at local play parks. Roll is 50%, but that's better than nothin. He can self rescue just fine. He reads water OK, usta canoe in Minnesota headwaters frequently so I'm psyched to get him out on the water. I'll probably put him on the downstream side of Tunnel 1. Just something to extend his run a bit before the traffic jam at the play park. Say what's up Pete if you see him. He'll have a goofy-ass purple helmet on.