Old 08-19-2009   #11
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Im going to be there wednesday afternoon. If you want to meet up to paddle it give me a call at (970) 214-9209.

Anyone know of good camping close to there?

youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #12
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sorry, no go on the mid-week paddling for me, gotta make that money...but it sounds like Saturday is the day that will work best for our local crew, Bob let me know if that works for you...and anyone else interested in joining for the drive over, or meeting us there is welcome.

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #13
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Just to let anyone interested in this run know:

Ran it today @ 450 cfs, put in just below the Seven Castles bridge. Slide rapid came up in just over a 1/4 mile. I found it to be a III+ rapid with a nice surf wave at top and a slide at the bottom, immediately followed by solid III water and a strainer.

Shortly there-after is the mandatory portage where it looks like the river has recently flooded and changed it's natural channel.

Not too long after the portage we came across a place where the river splits around another island, the left side had minimal water so we went right, and the was a river-wide downed cottonwood requiring another portage or a super tight limbo move.

Then you have slack water for a mile or so, followed by the only solid IV (in my opinion) on this stretch. You have a complicated lead in to an island with multiple stacked holes in the only boatable channel (far left), then this channel split in two and they both had 1/2 to 3/4 river wide strainers at the bottom. I found it to be fun, my friend who was swimming did not...

Below that was 3-4 more solid class III drops before we arrived in the town of Basalt, taking out just above the confluence with the Roaring Fork.

A great stretch for class III boaters ready to push their limits, or for an off-season destination, I definitely plan on boating it again.

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #14
Fort Collins, Colorado
I ran it two days ago in a shredder and I would agree with that tr from logan.

The only additional thing I would add is in the slack water in between the slide rapid and lower rapids is one mandatory portage due to a river wide strainer. The river splits in two and most of the water is going left (not sure what is in the right channel). About 3/4 of the way down the channel there is a river wide strainer. Not sure if you could possibly roll under it in a kayak (but sketchy because of shallow water), but there is a small eddy at the top of the channel that provides an exit.

Putting back in is a pain (in a shredder) but just beat the bushes back to the river.

Beautiful river though, and a great section...would definatly recommend it.

There is always a reason not to...
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote

fryingpan lower beta