Old 06-27-2005   #1
Loveland, Colorado
Lower Blue kinda big!

But be aware of increasing releases:

If you have been up around Green Mountain Reservoir, you will notice it is filling quickly. In fact, we are very close to full. This will be the first time in five or six years we have physically filled the reservoir. This is great news for water supplies.

To accommodate the snowmelt as it comes off the mountains, we have been raising releases from Green Mountain to the Lower Blue. Despite our predictions last week, we actually DID have to up releases over the weekend and did so late Sunday night.

That means that at the start of today (6/27), flows in the Lower Blue were at 760 cfs. At 3 p.m. today we raised releases another 200 cfs putting about 960 in the Lower Blue.

In another hour (6 p.m., about), we will raise releases another 200 cfs. This will put about 1160 cfs in the Lower Blue.

At 9 p.m. tonight, we will ramp up releases one more time by 240 cfs. That means by midnight tonight, we should have about 1400 cfs in the Lower Blue.

I do not know the schedule for the rest of the week, but it is probably safe to say releases to the Lower Blue will most likely increase a bit more through the week. I do not have predictions for flows in the Lower Blue over the 4th of July weekend, yet. However, I feel safe in saying that the reservoir will be full for the holiday weekend.

PLEASE NOTE: the southern campgrounds at Green Mountain Reservoir are partially wet. This is largely because, the past 5 or 6 years have been very dry and we haven't filled the reservoir. So, camping areas unofficially moved closer to the water lines. The official water line, however, will be visible, once again, by Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. That is when we anticipate to fill Green Mountain.

PLEASE ALSO NOTE: we are trying to stay in step with the inflows as snow melts, comes down the Blue, and into Green Mountain Reservoir. It is not our preference to raise releases during the day, but like today, we may have to. If you are boating or fishing below the dam, please be aware that releases might come on. We check the section of river immediately below the dam before a daytime release. For your safety, however, please be aware this time of year (when we've actually had snow), releases could come up at anytime.

I'll keep you all posted as releases change. Please call or e-mail me with questions, concerns, etc.

Be careful out there in all this water!

Kara Lamb
Public Information
Eastern Colorado Area Office
Bureau of Reclamation
(970) 962-4326

klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #2
Kara, just wanted to let you know that we slummit county fools really appreciate your informative updates. We may not always bump your posts, but we are definitely reading them. Thank you!

blurredelevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #3
Anyone run this at these levels??? does it everything wash out including eddies or just get harder in class difficulty? want to run it today or friday! anyone interested?
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #4
Anybody taken a raft down the L. Blue at these flows? Just curious how the canyon is? I'd guess it wouldn't be too bad (not near as boney) aside from maybe the hole at the mouth of the canyon. And, the two weirs down lower might be fun? Anybody know?
fish on a fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #5
I've never run the blue but have fished it immensly (upper) before all the build up and parking lots surfaced! So my memory is poor the lower is totally new to me! i would like to kayak it but would be willing to run R2 in my litlle 12' Bucket boat! Is that a bad Idea? Friday afternoon works if anyone is interested? the more the safer! What danger does lie in this class II-III anyway??? weirs? whole? how big??
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005   #6
According to CRC, the upper Blue has some -IV. Keep that in mind.
blurredelevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #7
Originally Posted by blurredelevens
According to CRC, the upper Blue has some -IV. Keep that in mind.
The Upper and Lower are separated by a reservoir, so the IV- on the Upper should not really be a problem for anyone running the Lower.

alex is offline   Reply With Quote