Old 07-08-2005   #1
Loveland, Colorado
Lower Blue cfs for the weekend

Hi all--
I'm sorry to post above a memorial; I don't mean to be disrespectful, but figured some might want the info. Here 'tis:

We seem to be nearing the end of run-off on the Blue River. On the other hand, we also are getting run-off peaks--like we did last night--that cause us to ramp up releases to the Lower Blue so we can bypass the inflows the reservoir is receiving. For example, yesterday afternoon, the Blue River bumped up about 200 cfs. So, last night, we ramped up our releases to around 900 cfs to handle the inflow. This morning, reservoir inflows were back down to around 700 cfs, so we brought our releases down to 700 cfs, as well. That is where the river should be sitting now: 700 cfs.

Our water schedulers are expecting the river to jump around this weekend. Depending on the weather, flows in the Lower Blue could get as high as 900 cfs, or drop as low as 500 cfs. So, if you get up to the Lower Blue, please keep in mind that there could be a gate change while you are in the canyon and as much as 200 addtional cfs might come down the river.

All that said, we are hoping to keep releases to the Lower Blue around 700 cfs through the weekend. Just remember that the unpredictable could happen.

Also, I was scanning posts and saw there had been some confusion about the access hours to the Lower Blue. To clarify, Holiday Mondays have access open until 7 p.m. If you ever notice the gate closed early on a Holiday Monday (or any other day, for that matter), just give me a holler.

And last, just so you all know, Chunder's posts were the only ones that ever made me wish I wasn't stuck on a federal computer. I wanted to invent my own persona just to have some fun and jump in that ring. Satire is a sacred skill.

You "extreme sports" enthusiasts be careful out there!
(970) 962-4326

Kara Lamb
Public Information
Eastern Colorado Office
Bureau of Reclamation
(970) 962-4326
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #2
Bro Bra Blah Blah Blah
Lakehood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 99
Send a message via AIM to K2boater
Thanks for the updates.

Any word on Bailey Releases??

K2boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #3
Loveland, Colorado
Unfortunately, no Bailey beta from me. Reclamation doesn't have any projects on the South Platte, north fork or otherwise. And I'm not sure whose diversion tunnels, ditches etc. might be affecting those flows. I don't know that area at all.

Here are some website possibilities that might lead to reservoir/ditch/tunnel owners and contact info for flows through Bailey:

But, y'all probably have all these pages bookmarked already.

Sorry I'm not much more help than that.

Kara Lamb
Public Information
Eastern Colorado Office
Bureau of Reclamation
(970) 962-4326
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote