Old 03-25-2010   #1
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
low water skull line

I was talking to a guy about running WW, I did it last year at 3700, well he was saying that at this level, today WW is at about 2500-2600 you have to go right around Skull Rock for some reason I doubt this but want to check and see if he knows what he's talking about. Let me know any thoughts thanks.

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
In a raft or kayak? I have run right before in a kayak at multiple levels, but without being a rafter, I do not see how that would be a preferred line at any level, from my recollection seems like it would be squeeze at low flows for most rafts....

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
right around skull?

you never HAVE to go right around skull. the typical line is right of center to left. a sneak on the right is available at certain flows though, depending on craft.
You deserve a good paddling!
coloradopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #4
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I just ran it at that 2200-2600 level (twice) and you can still run left in a raft. A little lower, at say 1800 or so, maybe lower you need to go right because there's too many guard rocks to go left.
jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #5
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Talking about a raft, is the rock sticking out of the water at around 2200-2700? We may go run it this week. I have seen pictures of people getting stuck on the right at real low flows and at the same flows people still going left in rafts.
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
huh, I must be on a different page. I am under the impression that you always eat the meat of Skull, every time, forever, no matter what. The rock is showing you say, I say BooF the shit outta that rock, raft or no raft.
I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #7
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Send a message via AIM to troutslayer
I ran Skull today at 2650, you would not have wanted to hit skull. The channel to the left of skull is was very easy to fit through in a 14' raft and even at lower water it is easy to fit through the two rocks. The BLM fire management was taking out tamarack at miners cabin, lower hole, and little d looks SO MUCH better. Still lots of very large ice banks on the river mostly through the rapid sections. All the campsites were melted out. The shortcut under the highway is doable in a trailer all the mud under the bridge is dried up. Happy Boating the WW is open for action and the river should start to be rising daily.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #8

I've run it as low as 1350 in a raft. While the left starts to get tight for anything more than about 7 feet wide -- that is, the space between Razor Rock and the left bank -- it is very doable.

There is a "right of Razor, left of Skull" run. bit it requires a bit of extra maneuvering because of two holes in the center of the channel.

The right run is there at those levels as well. My 16 foot NRS cat just barely squeezes between Skull Rock and the right wall.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #9
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
A hole forms between razor rock and the right wall at low water = 1500 or so. It looks sweet from the tongue ... like you can ease right up to skull rock and cushion off the pillow but the hole might launch you in a raft before you get there. In a kayak that right of the rock line is good to go.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010   #10
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the info, we are going down this Sunday and the question came up to go left or right of Skull. Is it easier to scout Skull at low water? I actually never stopped and scouted, always ran it blind.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote