Old 10-12-2009   #21
Durango, Colorado
Originally Posted by xkayaker13 View Post
If you are from the south east then you should be used to the low water blues. Every time I see a "kayaker" in the South East they're sliding down a rock while their buddy pisses on it. LOL
In the Southeast people paddle when there is water, high or low. A trend that I have not seen very much out here..I did see a bunch of "oh its too high to run" not from everyone ,but from a large majority. Which was something else to get used to. We could only paddle when it rained, which meant if it was a super high flow well you gotta sack up and go for it, or the alternative of go home

Also the middle box is good to go... a little scary in there, and NO I would NOT recommend going in there. but if anyone around town wants to venture in than let me know and we will go do some kayaking.

GorillaBoofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #22
Boulder, Colorado
i think you can probably boat more days in CO, than you can in the SE, Gore is still running at a good medium level and is runnable at least 8 months out of the year every single day. People talk about the green being so awesome because it runs all the time but in the summer it gets low as dick although it is still a very fun run, i think Gore is a more consistent run.
I do agree people here only boat 3 months out of the year, I guess it kinda sucks being down in durango now as far as boating but the M-wave is close or if you want to actually go kayaking you could fire the black up.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #23
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
lol, I just like given south easterner's a hard time. I feel your low water blues. I grew up kayaking in the north east and we used to boat through the winter. I ran plenty of runs back there at embarrassingly low water and some at terrifying high. Waiting for the "next storm" was frustrating a lot of times but it was exciting when it came. Overall I prefer the consistency of rivers out here. Your schedule doesn't have to be as flexible.

Tom's right. The black canyon is sick above 700cfs, but the flows may be done for the rest of the year. If it comes back up you should join us for one of our trips into the hole.
xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #24
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by Droboat View Post
Maybe, maybe not. The summer flows look too low in comparison to what is only a modestly dry year. 2009 precipitation does not correlate with 2002, but the flows are somewhat similar.

Would be interesting to see the amount of "extra" diversions which took place upstream of Durango this summer. I expect that more than a few cfs were pumped out with the paranoid idea of preventing the next step toward stealing their water through actual ALP diversions.

It is locally accepted strategy to blame ALP for all Animas water woes since the cabal who cooked it up were likely involved in some manner. Orwell you can use.
What next step? ALP hasn't been diverting any water since late July.

rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote