Old 08-28-2006   #1
low h20 ark runs

Looking to get out of town and was wondering which sections of the ark are good to go at these flows(looking for class III)

thogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #2
salida, Colorado
the gorge is low but still also get to see all the commercial rafts get stuck/flip in sunshine falls....the paddle out sucks, Browns Canyon

psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #3
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Browns is good, I think the Gorge is way more fun though. I've never thought the paddle out is all that the rafting carn is usually interesting.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #4
Breckenridge, Colorado
if your looking for class 3, think about upstream. Numbers is still fun and you can see what makes the rapids before water returns next spring. Ive done pine creek down to 90 cfs...stupid but better than doing nothing. Lower blue is also running.
freeheelintodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #5
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Damn. You must have been desperate. I'm curious; what was Pine Creek like at 90? How low have you done the Numbers and Brown's?

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #6
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I don't know if y'all have checked, but right now the Gorge is running 700+ which, while its not ripping, is still a hell of a lot better (about twice the flow, as a matter of fact) than most of us would expect for after the supplental releases have been shut off.,00060

Doubtful that there'll be much rafter carnage at this level though...

--Andy H.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006   #7
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
We did the Gorge yesterday and had a ton of fun at 700. Still quite a few things that would trip up a true III boater though. We had more carnage at 700 (two swims from class IV paddlers, one we had to chase for a while...) than at 820 a few weeks ago. Then again it was like paddling chocolate milk with the runoff. Just my .02...

Another option is Parkdale (III-/III). I did it late September last year at 370, so I'd guess it would be a lot more fun now. It's a mellower option than the Gorge.

If you do Brown's at low water, I'd recommend putting in at Ruby Mtn rather than Fisherman's as you'll cut out the flat/rocky paddle in.

lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006   #8
oh yeah
i soloed the ark from pine creek to frog rock yesterday and had a good time. i had the river to myself. lots of class III/III+ in the numbers.

danger is offline   Reply With Quote