Old 06-29-2006   #21
DP/ Cinematographer
DP - cinematographer, Boulder
Paddling Since: 1978
Send a message via Skype™ to Brook

Bshack93 you gargle bag. Talk about the short bus, yours went around the block only making left turns. Did it rubb off?? Lefty!
Meet me @ Lawson Friday for some old school variety moves.

Just wait til the end of July and there is zero water and we are all jonzin, doh! Dead bolts and spam!!

Get Some-

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #22
on your sister, ...
hey andy r....

tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #23
He's a part-time Disco champion and a full-time Woman Lover, Colorado
Censorship is bad and will, if gotten outta control, lead me to another boating forum in Colorado. There are others and they will grow in nature if there is too much censorship on the Buzz. I agree that 3 locked threads in one week is alarming. I have faith that Andy is a good guy and my dissapointment in the locked threads is in no way supposed to come across as anything different. In Andy's rant about what kind of threads will and won't be allowed the Buzz, he did say that he was thinking about starting an Off Topic area for people to post non-boating related topics. If that is all it's going to take to give people the peace of mind they are looking for on the Boaters Forum, but still allow users the right to discuss things openly, then it sounds like a good compromise to me.

Let's give it some time and see how things work out. Maybe all of our concerns are unwarrented. Maybe not. Some of my favorite threads though are those that have nothing to do with boating. If things get too bad and too many more threads are locked then I will be the first to leave this site and head somewhere else — as I am sure many others will.

I have no problem with the Wholesurfers and Timmays out there who are wishing drowning deaths upon kayakers to be shut out of the site forever. There is a difference between calling someone a dueshbag and to wish them death in an undercut rock.

BSOE for President 2008!!!!!
I hope you're all on board cause this bus is ready to roll.
smoke emif ugotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #24
ski/kayak bum
i will no longer be logging on to the long......

please feel free to email me at gonehuckin at yahoo dot com
when the censorship is over......

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006   #25
Golden, Colorado
Two suggestions since I'd hate to see this forum go away:

1) If you don't like it don't read it. Censorship should be unecessary unless you're trying to save people from themselves. No one is forcing anyone to read this stuff.
2) Admins should lock out dipshits like Timmay who try to rile people at the expense of traggic deaths.

I'm now going to go back to following rule #1.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #26
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I'm psyched that frenchy was able to sell this site. He worked hard on it and deserved a pay day. Andy R if you plan on being heavy handed to a community that has long traditions and tends to moderate itself, then I hope you didn't spend much of your savings on this site. Coming to this site is like sitting around a campfire throwing bullshit at your best friends. Sure you trade useful information, but it's also to have a good time. Some of the best posts ever were from the Chunderboy and he was never reverent, on topic, or informational about kayaking. But they were fucking hilarious.

Quite frankly if I were a non-boater techy and bought this site, I wouldn't fucking touch it for at least two years. Obviously it gets tons of traffic and was built by someone who knows the community - why on earth would you think you could improve it after two weeks? The traffic can definitely go else where and you can have your family boating site, but i'll be sad to see it. After all - "Fathers In Boats Always Regret having Kids" - FIBArk. The reason for that is because they no longer boat or check boating websites.

Bring on the irreverance and a new webmaster.

P.S. in 6 years daily on this site, I only remember one request from the members for a censure.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #27
salida, Colorado
off topic forum

Sometimes you may have to lock out threads but I believe the veterans on this forum can handle people like timmaay but when he starts speaking about people dying it's hard not to get emotinal about it but most people know he is just a dipshit and will join his game just to waste time at work. People are more willing to post threats, violence because their is no face to face interaction to worry about. As a rookie on the site I love the "off-topic" post I have a 'nough kayaking buddies to get beta from in Salida so I don't really visit this site to get much beta unless we decide to run something out of town then we visit just to get a heads up.

By the way I ran the gorge last night' and got worked but it was hella fun....going again today...late
psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #28
Somewhere on, Earth
Cool, thanks for everyone's feedback. It sounds like an off topic forum would be a good place for these threads.

I don't want to get into censoring (locking threads) but there is a time and place to try and cool things down. Frenchy has done this in the past but he is really busy these days and does not plan to stay on in that capacity.

As you all have mentioned, I don't have a good understanding what everyone wants (but I am learning fast), so if any of you want to be the referee and help make the judgement call on when things need to be cooled down, please send me a private message. I sure could use some help...
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #29
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Leave them in the boaters forum. Under the heading of "community" after all that is the point that everyone is trying to make. If people need real information they will go to "411" and find the category they need.

I new dashboard could be really sweet. For example when I come to mountain buzz I get the home page. On the left it has the big window with all of the forums. If those forums could show the titles of the last five posts with in that forum that would be pretty cool I think. Often what happens is that real alerts and trip planning topics end up under the boaters forum because that gets the most traffic. Most people dont even check the other forums. But if I had a summary of what was going on that would be really cool.

andy i am glad you are listening. its not just about the people that use the forum. It is also about the businesses that advertise here. Some one mentioned something about Google type adds which I hate. I love the fact that mostly local businesses advertise here. This site needs to remain the way it is so that it is a valuble tool for our Colorado businesses. If people bail then so will the local businesses.

Last.... I am not sure if many people would agree but I think that in some ways this has been the most volitle week on the Buzz that I ahve ever seen (3+years). For example the guy that siad something about no Kayakers dying. That is the most inflamitory thing i ahve ever read on the bozz. You mentioned that you have been on for the past couple of years think about it, realy there has been little need to lock things down. Frenchy locked the first one..... Then came more post about hating wholesurfer which you locked, he needed the beatdown for what he said..... Then the Texas thing. Its just fear of change that has everyone fired up.

hang in there everyone,
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006   #30
pnw, Washington
Andy, I think the entire world has become very PC and people never really say what they think. This site has never been PC, anything but. When I first starting using this site I was challenged by peoples right to be an asshole and do everything they could to piss me off. I have learned to avoid threads and to grow a thicker skin. I think the campfire analogy is a good one. I would hate to see that go away but I didnt read the thread in question so I will leave that to someone else's judgement. Kayakers talk about other things other than kayaking. I would appreciate it if you continued to view this a kayakers forum not a forum only about kayaking.

greg horton

gh is offline   Reply With Quote