Alright, I have a confession to make. I like crocs. There we go, I said it. BUT my affinity to these strange rubber clown shoes is purely utilitarian, so bear with me:
1. They look gay. Yes. This however is not an issue if you fall into one of two categories A) Perfectly secure with your masculinity OR B) You're gay.
2. Sometimes the rubber is slick.
1. They float.
2. They come in bright colors that are easy to see floating down the river (unfortunately also the source of con #1, see above).
3. The flip up heelstrap makes them easy to slip on and off, easy to keep on your feet, and, unlike your ordinary flipflop, legal to drive in (also good for strapping into your boat).
4. The sole is thick enough that walking on jagged rocks does not hurt (unlike many booties).
5. The flexible sole allows you to curl your toes around rocks when climbing and scrambling in them, very handy.
6. They are cheap and easily replaceable.
7. Your "friends" won't steal them.
8. One size fits a wide range of foot sizes; perfect for when your dumbass buddy forgets his booties at home.
9. They are reportedly burnable and edible. Sounds like some good potential for expedition applications.
10. They don't shrink and become uncomfortable after getting wet.
11. They drain water.
12. Easily Reparable.
P.S. If you wear a pair of neoprene socks or thin booties with your crocs, the following will happen: some water will get between your foot and booty, some water will get between the croc and booty and it's like walking on a slice of heaven.