Old 05-22-2006   #1
Los Pinos got bagged! First descent.

I heard some Durango boaters bagged the Los Pinos this last weekend. Any idea who did it? Is it just word around the campfire?

phat camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #2
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
what run?
lots of folks have paddled below the dam

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #3
Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
Confirmed. Think above Vallecito. Yeti, that one was for you, so check it off.
Hopefully some report will follow soon.
Hey phat camp, have you talked to stank finger lately?
floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #4
Bagged back in the 80's

Milt Wiley and a big crew of paddlers ran Lo Pinos top to bottom back in 1988 and people have been up there many times since!!!!! When there is lots of water it is fun!!!
keel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #5
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
there is an account of some of this early stuff in tyler williams 50 classic whitewater book no? i think it said a lot was portaged - so this could be a first d of some of the drops for sure. good work no matter what.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #6
Good fun run

Everything has been run at multiple levels. Lots of work to get up there kudos to all that have run it.
keel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #7
Durango, Colorado

We (Scott Baker, John Wade, Dan Steaves) ran the Pinos staring from Rio Grande Resevior, hiking over the pass and starting when the river was about 50 CFS. Around the confluence of the Sierra Vondera, it starts getting continuosly rowdy for miles and miles. At this time it was around 250 CFS. Below the falls is an excellent Vallecito style gorge with back-to-back rowdy drops, sieves, wood, etc. All-in-all, it was a 3-day, 28 mile journey through the Weminuche wilderness. Look for pictures soon!

I believe the Tyler Williams book was reffering to Vallecito from the headwaters and we did the Los Pinos.

Anybody know if this was a first descent??
DES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #8
How was the hike?
hey diddle diddle...
lotsawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #9
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I know it probably doesn't rank up there with the mank futher up, but what is the difficulty of the last lower section before the reservoir? Looks like it is a fun Class IV from high on the road, but can't get close enough due to private property. I have seen on the map where there are some falls up that way, I would love to see some pictures!
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #10
Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
Hey kids, just thought i would give my two cents.
The hike had a little snow on the north side of the pass, but not to bad. About seven miles of hiking got us to a place we could put-in. It gorged quickly after according to the map and it wasn't lying. sieves and crap @ 100 cfs except for one runnable slide that was very reminiscent of OBJ.
Camp 1 next to the gorge, 1/2 mile drops 285'. gorge not recommended.
-Day 2-
Walked to the end of the gorge and put-in. The flow tripled with tribs immediatly. Five miles of flat in a hour and a half. There where two small drops (8' and 15') hidden in the flats. Second steeps drops about 280' per mile for five. Sieves and some sections run before the falls. The falls are gnarly. But you can kinda see the line? We didn't run it. There is a gorge that starts there we called vallecito simulator. Same style drops/rock, but maybe bigger because of tiers. think double entrance, double trashcan, double finishline, etc...overall easy day getting there.
-day 3-
We chose to stay there and run that section of water in the morning instead of the third lower gorge because of time. We had time for one and we chose that section. It was well worth it. That gorge was worth the whole thing. After the walls drop away then things get interesting. Flint creek doubles the flow and things get a little manky, but big and steep boulder gardens. We didn't have time to scout it all so we went for the bottom half of the next two miles. Super fun.
Time to get movin'. The next gorge was four miles of flat away. At the entrance we all wanted to run it, but there was no feasible way. We hiked down thinking about the rapids of the last gorge and scouted this third/lowest gorge. Really good potential. 200' for two miles. Much more flow. Rapids flow together. We put it at the bottom and paddled the 10 miles to vallecito. class three except for one mile of class four just above the res. Time for a cold one. I would say 600-700 cfs at the res.
All in all it was a sweet trip. Miles of steep water. It felt like we paddled about three different rivers a day because it changed so much. Lots of work. Some of us have been studying maps for years, food caches, lots of hiking, safety issues, huge shuttle (for colorado), and lots of water you cannot run.
Think and plan really hard for this one before you go in there. Horses would be the ticket. I am willing to share any information needed. I would like to go back and get that lower gorge this weekend. I think that there might be enough water for one more. Give a PM if there is some interest.
Big thanks to Dan and Scotty for making this one happen. Good trip. As for a first D, well maybe not, but it was a first D for us and maybe we ran some stuff that no one else has run? Anyway, it was super fun. I guess I could'a sat at home and watched Nascar or naked girls mud wrestling instead, right? Oh wait, that is just what I imagined was on TV during the paddle out.
See Ya, Johnny

floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote