Old 07-13-2011   #11
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by rboater7 View Post
There's nothing wrong with paddling a lot of flat water....
Sorry about snipping your post this way but I disagree with this part.

Flat water teaches you that you can sit dead in your boat without any dynamic balance.

I don't do that in any moving current. As in hardly ever.

The only thing a lake is good for is practicing your wet exit. Everything else changes once you are in moving current. Even class 1 no rapid moving current.

My three and 1/2 cents.

carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #12
i think flat water work is pretty necessary if you dont have any paddling experience - learning the basic strokes - forward stroke, sweeps, draws, sculling, basic bracing, etc is much easier on flat water. I have taken athletic people with no paddling experience to moving water in duckys to varied results.

If you have spent some time paddling your own craft - sea kayak, canoe, whatever - you may have enough skills to start on moving water, but I really think there is a lot to gain on flat water. If you cant control your boat on the flats then you cant control your boat in moving water.

That said many skills can only be learned on moving water - so once you learn the basic strokes you need to get on some moving water. Make sure you pick the right section - slow moving class I-II. I would also highly recommend going with an experienced friend or an instructor. Not only is it safer to go with an experienced person, but they can also help you realize what mistakes you are making and can help correct those mistakes before they become bad habits.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #13
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
If you want that sense of adventure, skip the classes, get a friend, rent/buy gear, go do some class 2 stuff, step it up till you start swimming, learn to roll. Some people will argue bout the roll part and classes but I would find that too structured and constricted.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #14
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Maybe try a packraft out. Can't roll, (unless you buy leg staps and a skirt) but you can climb back in real easy, and it is far more stable than any kayak as far as i know. About the same price, or cheaper, and 1/10 the weight. A paddle and packraft, your set (though always use a pfd, even if i never do). Anyone can float one in flat water, and any mildly experienced boater can run one down class 3 with only the slightest effort. I run class 4 and it swamps my packraft pretty quick if i am not careful, but even full to the brim with water, it keeps on floating. Makes handling a chore, but it doesn't sink. My only experiences with kayaks have been hugely tippy compared to my rafting experiences. Plus, I can float my packraft down creeks (or other water sources) that are 4 inches deep (and i weigh 210 pounds), which is a favorite for me. I can see the bottom clear as day, and never touch it.
But, I apologize for detracting from kayaking.
Perhaps packrafting is not as exciting as kayaking.
alexela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
EJ's instructional paddling book says to learn everything on flatwater and then move to whitewater. His son just won that competition up in Canada, so maybe he knows what he's talking about.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #16
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
EJ's instructional paddling book says to learn everything on flatwater and then move to whitewater. His son just won that competition up in Canada, so maybe he knows what he's talking about.

As surely as there is only one correct way to do something you are right.

Did he win the moving from flatwater to whitewater competition? Your syntax is snafuing me.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #17
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: noob
I'm actually pretty surprised by the amount of solid advice. Internet message boards are generally the wrong place to openly expose you're complete noobdom.

I'm pretty sure I know right where CW is at. under the Vitamin Cottage right? my gf works across the street at a little english tea house and I see their kayaks stored out back everyday I pick her up.

What are classes running? would like to have a good idea of the price so I don't have my socks blown off when I walk in. my girlfriend has mentioned wanting to get into kayaking also. so my costs are doubled just like that

Like all things it comes down to collecting that next pay check. which luckily is friday, just need to figure out which bills are getting the short end this month.
stoneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #18
Your Mom!, Colorado
Yes, Confluence is under Vitamin Cottage on 15th/Platte. They have pretty regularly weekend lake classes, that iirc were like $150 or something for a full day. They do them at Chatfield in the gravel pond. Morning is gear, safety, wet exit, paddling around, etc. Then afternoon is rolling instruction. Give em a call, they are always super helpful have lots of good instructors if you get into doing river classes or private instruction.

You can also check out the Renaissance Adventure folks. They also do instruction at Chatfield. I hear nothing but good things about em.

JeremyTheMonster is offline   Reply With Quote