Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 01-08-2007   #1
looking for photos—Whitewater of the Southern Rockies

Calling all photographers and kayakers that know photographers. This is your chance to make the pages of the newest regional guidebook.

As we near our print deadline for the new Whitewater of the Southern Rockies guidebook we are putting out our first public call for photos. Since a new guidebook may be news to many of you, I'll spill the beans—and unfortunatly refuse to reply to any of the questions that many of you may ask in this thread. It's not because I don't care, I just don't have the time with a looming deadline shortly ahead. Please be patient for more info, and I will tell you this in the meantime...

Whitewater of the Southern Rockies will come out sometime in the Spring of 2007. It is written by Evan Stafford and myself, Kyle McCutchen, and involves the help of many amazing individuals (some that you've heard of, and others you haven't). The guide covers the states of CO, NM, AZ, UT, and WY to varying extents. It is full color, durable, and thick (nearing 600 pages). There are more run descriptions than most paddlers will kayak in a lifetime.

We are looking for the following photos, and I've divided them by state to make it easier to look through. We are generally NOT looking for any other pictures of other runs, although if you have an amazing shot that we absolutely must see, feel free to send the one amazing shot. We will send the photographer a free book for any shot that we use, every photo will have photographer and subject credit, and that photographer will get a short bio in our contributors section. We appreciate the eye candy from all of you.

***If you didn't take the photograph, please ask the photographer that did to submit the photo for you.

Please send unedited pictures in tiff or jpeg format to kyle[dot]mccutchen[at]gmail[dot]com Any questions regarding a submission may be sent to the same email address.

DEADLINE for submissions: January 18th, 2007

Pictures that may make you somewhat famous:

Lower South Boulder
Alto Alto
Woody Creek/Toothache
Animas river in Durango (freestyle or beginner pics)
Gunny Gorge
Cross Mtn Gorge
Royal Gorge
Lake Fork Gunny (any section)
Ten Mile Creek
Blue River
Breck WWP
Upper Middle Fork South Platte
Union Chutes WWP (ideally Hollywood Hole)
Dolores River (any section)
San Miguel

New Mexico:
Santa Cruz

Northgate Canyon
anything in the Bighorn Mountains
Jackson Hole area pictures (ideally aerial freestyle)
Bitch Creek (ID)

Escalante RIVER (not the creek)
Dirty Devil River
Temple of Sinawava section of the Virgin River

any river or creek (except the Salt, Fossil, or Grand)

Pictures that we DO NOT need (because we have too many):

Again, thanks for the help. Enjoy the snow, and pray for more.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #2
Canon City, Colorado

ive sent u an email cutch---we've got u covered on the numbers! sounds like quite a project you've undertaken. we're pleased to help u.

Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #3
I have some pictures of your Mom, would those help?

Real classy like too. However I only have the pics available in poster size. . . Maybe it could be an inset in the guide book that you could tear out.

Food for thought.
hey diddle diddle...
lotsawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #4
Thanks Norm!

Pete, I have some bad news. It looks like all of the photos that we have of you aren't high enough resolution. Looks like you aren't going to make the cut. Better luck next time.
Kyle McCutchen
Old 01-09-2007   #5
Durango, Colorado
I've got some good pictures of Oak Creek, Dry Creek, and Upper Sycamore Creek in AZ, but they're not digital. Probably not much help, but I thought I'd offer.
dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007   #6
Dugan, I'll let you know shortly. I think we might be interested.

Anyone have any pics of New Mexico's Pecos River?
Kyle McCutchen
Old 01-10-2007   #7
Willow Creek?
Kyle McCutchen
Old 01-11-2007   #8
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845

you had talked to me about Henson Creek, and like i said, none of those are in high rez, so you probably dont want them.

i DO however have high rez pics for ALL stretches on the lake fork, including the lesser known sections (upper upper cinnamon gorge, 3 gorges, pre box, etc). if you want em, let me know!
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007   #9
hey kyle. i've got a great photo of 3 kids just about to eat it in the green river wave in a row boat. i sent it to evan. maps are getting there. d
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007   #10
Hey Yeti,

You can definetly send what you have of the Lake Fork and anything else. I know you have a lot of good scenery shots, but we're really hoping to get some with a boater in them. I'd love to get a picture of Whitmore with somebody running it.

I think that the Lake Fork pics that Evan has of yours are low resolution. Maybe you have larger files?

Darren, can't way to see the goods. Send me an update when you get a chance.

Kyle McCutchen