Old 12-28-2005   #1
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
looking for opinions on warm booties....

I have some decent summertime paddling booties, but the thought of going out this winter in them makes my toes cringe.... and the way this winter is going in NM, 488 CFS on the Rio Grande is starting to sound better than our whole one run open @ SF ski area. so i am wondering what the northern folks trust their toes to, since the water has got to be way colder....
I have Teva booties that have seen better days, and could maybe squeeze wool socks in there, but theres got to be a better option. anyone got the secret ??? besides whiskey and/or a skiing roadtrip???

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
The NRS Desperado shoes have kept my dogies warm through many a snow storm and fit into a play boat. The NRS Attack shoes are also super warm when squeezing feet is not an issue.

CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005   #3
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
We spent a couple of full days wading and swimming in ice cold water for my SWR class in the snowmelt fed Eagle River and Gore Creek early season. I added some smart wool socks to my usual NRS booties and was quite comfy.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #4
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey there, sorry to hear about your cold toes predicament, Abron.....!

We do alot of wintertime boating here in the SE, and the "standard" foot gear seems to be a pair of fleece-lined neoprene socks underneath your river booties. I wouldn't recommend the socks I have, as the seams at the toes can seep if you swim or have to wade to pull a boat out-- but I'm sure if you shop around/ poke around on the internet, you can find something with a more watertight seal? I have nike toketee booties, and the combo works well for keeping me warm as long as there's no occasion for my feet getting swamped!
newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #5
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
mexico or bust!?!! !Pinche zapatas!

Thanks for y'alls ( newby- that was for you ) input... it looks like i'm going to have to hit up the old rafting boss for a mid-winter NRS pro-deal... they have one bootie that is 5 and 7 mm thick neoprene, and a couple that are 3 and 5mm thick; and neoprene socks. if that doesn't cut it, i'll just be dreaming about Costa Rica and NZ on the chairlift in my almost always warm tele boots......
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #6
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Nike Toketee bootie
Seal Skinz sock
Patagonia capeline expedition weight sock

Best setup hands down. I have spent 200+ winter days (just moved from GA/NC area) on the river with this setup and I never have cold feet. I'm talking <20 deg. for the high.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #7
Raft Guide
I like to tighten the toe strap way down on my Chacos, and then whistle the theme from "The Great Escape." This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

But that's just me
rubberducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #8
Gore-tex socks all the way. any bootie.

PhilBob is offline   Reply With Quote