Old 07-22-2014   #1
Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Looking for Instructional resources

Hi all. I've looked through the forum a bit, and this seems to be the most active forum on whitewater I've seen anywhere and you guys seem to have fun doing it.

I'm pretty new to kayaking. I started on my brothers IK a couple years ago on a few class 2 runs and last year I learned to roll and started on my brothers mamba with a few class 2-3+ runs. This summer bought my own boat (a used 2nd gen Burn). I've been improving quite a bit lately after learning to brace, going 3 runs without hitting the water.

I've learned how to do a low brace, high brace, sculling brace, the bow draw, sweep stroke, ferry and how eddy in and out. I'm sure I can improve those skills and add more skills to my bag of tricks and hoping you guys can point me into the right direction and provide links to good resources to improve.

And is it just me, or is this whitewater stuff addictive?

bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Welcome to the Buzz! I'm not sure who there is in your neck of the woods but you could make a trip out here to the Arkansas Valley where the water's dropping to easy levels and take lessons from Rocky Mt. Outdoor Center, one of great businesses that sponsors this forum and keeps the lights on at One MountainBuzz Plaza.

And yes, this whitewater stuff is addictive....

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Takings lessons is a great idea. Wish I had done more of that earlier in my paddling, not that it's ever too late. Sounds like you're well on your way to a lifetime addiction.

My biggest tip is to keep catching eddies and to make harder moves through easier rapids. The ability to catch more difficult eddies separates paddlers by skill at any level of whitewater and provides the door to safely step up your game via scouting and portaging harder runs.

Above all, have fun.

(Seven two 0) 298-2242

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #4
Divide, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Check out Otter Bar, on the CAL-Salmon, Nothern Calif. GREAT Place for professional instruction.
California Kayak School | Call 530-462-4772 | Otter Bar Lodge Kayak School

Get to Coloma/Placerville.
Phil & Mary DeReimer are in this neck of the woods. Great trips, instruction too.
DeRiemer Adventure Kayaking - Kayak Instruction Courses

They teach locally on the So. Fk. American.
Whitewater Rafting, Ropes and the Outdoors with Mother Lode

Happy Paddling,
jill tip
j.tipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #5
Denver, Colorado
bystander - At the outset, let me admit that I am a cheap bastard. I will agree that lessons are a very good idea, but you might as well avail yourself of the many free resources available. Eric Jackson's instructional videos are free on Youtube, and are excellent at breaking down the fundamentals into bite-sized pieces. You should also look to see if your local library has Kayak: The New Frontier - it's has nice cartoon illustrations of the basics. You can also use this forum to look for trips where folks don't mind beginners tagging along - many boaters are more than willing to give you pointers as you head downriver. Most of all, have fun and don't get discouraged - it's all about the learning process.
Sitting Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #6
Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Ok, so basically what I'm hearing is lessons are the way to go. I've mostly focused on videos and instructional links. I've also been down a few times with a friend of my brothers who is a class 5 kayaker, and appears to have very good form. He got me into focusing on eddy hopping and ferrying to tough to catch eddies. For the most part, when I go down, I do focus on trying tough eddy moves, even on class 3+ rapids. Unfortunately, he can't kayak often anymore with his new family.

I'll see if a lesson is in the cards. The question is, how important is the quality of the instructor, and how do I go about making sure he is a quality instructor? I'd hate to take lessons from someone that isn't a very good instructor.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #7
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by bystander View Post
The question is, how important is the quality of the instructor, and how do I go about making sure he is a quality instructor? I'd hate to take lessons from someone that isn't a very good instructor.
ACA Cert is usually the standard, most reputable shops will have them and good reviews
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014   #8
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Plus one on RMOC! Those guys are the Kayak whisperer'ers'ers or somethin like that . But seriously, super knowledgable, very friendly and awesome teachers!

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014   #9
Attleboro, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 2011
If it is worth anything I have taken lessons all over and you are lucky to have some very good local resources that I would recommend.

Current Adventures/The River Store.
Current Adventures Kayak School and Trips » Blog Archive » Whitewater River Kayaking (RK1)

Jason Bates specifically. I have taken numerous private lessons with him and I highly recommend looking into it if your budget allows.

Like someone else already mentioned the DeRiemer's (Phil and Mary) are great as well. I spent 2 weeks on the Colorado River with them. They travel a lot so they may not be around at certain times of the year.

sgmsmg is offline   Reply With Quote