Old 06-24-2012   #1
juneau, Alaska
Paddling Since: 2
looking for inflatable kayak advice

total newbie...been on one trip but loved it. I also live in AK so shopping is all done via internet.

This is mostly for exploring SE AK ocean and rivers with a companion or possibly solo w/ 2 dogs. Also wanted one for travel-thus the inflatable.

I've had a number of people tell me to try to sea eagle 380x, that they have good customer service w/ 3 yr warranty. I've had others say go Aire Lynx II w/ 10 yr warranty.

Looks like the sea eagle will run about $900 delivered and the aire lynx at least $1500 plus paddles, pump etc so I'm guessing around double the sea eagle cost.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be much appreciated. I can only go by the reviews I find online and I haven't seen much bad on either one.

AKHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #2
Grangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
I recommend getting the Hyside Padillac II. Very tough boat and can carry lots of gear. The downside is that it's $2000, but it'll last for decades.

Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #3
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
Depending on how much ocean paddling you are going to do you may want to consider the Tributary Sawtooth II. It would be much better on the open water and cost less than the Lynx II.

Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #4
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
I just got back from a trip to SE Alaska. Opportunities for stream paddling seemed limited and you should be looking for a boat that shines on flatwater. I have a Lynx II and although it is a good boat for rivers, it is not that great in flatwater. I think a Super Lynx or Sawtooth would be a better choice.

Although I have not paddled a Sea Eagle I have been a Rogue trip with them. I think you would be dissapointed with their performance on flatwater and their longevity.

I am not sure how much a Padillac weighs but if you plan to take your boat on an airline it would be nice if it was under 50 lbs. My experience with the Padillac is that is a very slow boat. You would hate it in a lake or the ocean.
Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #5
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Dont get the Sea Eagle!!

I got one while I was a newb. I was looking for a boat that I could run some easier rivers on and could use on lakes etc because I like to flyfish. I got the 380x with the "pro" package.

The pros i saw on the Seaeagle. It had a removable skeg so that it would track straight on flat water. It had good reviews and it had a payment plan, which was key since I just got a job living down by the payette river in ID and was broke, but had to get on the water.

I have run class 4 in it and lived. Payette canyon, SF Payette. So it can run that kind of stuff....... But i would rather do it in an aire or some other quality boat

The cons.
1) The first time out on the flat water section of the south fork payette the D rings that held the seat in place broke. I called them up and complained and they sent me replacements (not enough to replace all of them though) instructions and glue. So I started trying to remove the d rings as the directions said with the recommended product. Well the material the boat is made of dissolves faster than the adhesive. So i have p cord run thru the patches for d rings. which have continued to break. I have also added a bunch of non SE D rings to move the seating positions to a better one for solo.

2) the floor.... It is a pool toy made in korea... So dogs nails will tear right thru it unless you cover it. I use closed cell camping pads. But when they post video of how you can hit the boat with the claw side of a hammer and you pay 1000$ for it. you expect some durability.. Also the valve for the floor is garbage.

3) Drainage.... It has two holes in the bow and two in the stern. works ok except when you punch a big wave and then need to actually manuever the boat. it will be full of water for a good minute or so.

4) Stability... very stable in general conditions. But look at the bottom of the sea eagle vs and aire. the SE bottom goes down below the tubes a couple of inches. When you are in water with strong eddy walls it tends to catch and one side gets pulled under and you flip. Quickly. Can still happen with the other quality boats but they are desinged more like rafts. and are not as prone to flipping in an eddy.
treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #6

5)Seats and other included gear. get a sewing awl.. you will need it. the seats are stitched poorly where the bottom attaches to the backrestand the webbing runs across it holding it in place. This failed withing the first 4 uses.
The bow and stern bags fell apart in about the same amount of time and the attachment points are small plastic d rings. which will break as soon as any tension is applied to it. like if you flip the boat in a river, you can say goodbye to the bags. or just cut them off and tie in some p cord or zip tie.

6) the reviews.... Ok so after using this boat I had some stuff to say. So I posted reviews on alot of the sites that come up when you google IK's and Sea Eagle comes up..... But my reviews are not there...... So I guess Sea Eagle does not like it when you give an honest review and they can do something about it.... Sounds like you did not find any other bad sea eagle reviews... So i dont think that has changed.

So now I am hooked on the WW and I really want a better boat.

The SOAR inflatable canoes seem pretty cool, can carry lots of gear and look to be better quality but have the same bottom design as the SE, so may flip easier than WW IK's, but may track better in flat water THe Aire outfitter series has nice big tubes so would carry more gear than their other models.
Old 06-25-2012   #7
PS my pic is me running Lone Pine on the SF payette in the Sea Eagle POS.
Old 06-25-2012   #8
PS #2 Both paddles have broken. One two days before a MF Salmon put in and one on the Main Fork of the Salmon a few days later. THey were kinda flexey and garbage anyway made by Clear Blue Hawii.
Old 06-26-2012   #9
juneau, Alaska
Paddling Since: 2
now looking at Aire kayaks

Thanks for the help here!!! Really appreciate it.

Love the 10 yr unconditional on some of the Aires.

Any thoughts on the outfitter II, Lynx II or superlynx II for travel, WW and a good amount of coastal/ocean SE AK trips?

I really don't want to go above the $1,500 range.
AKHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #10
I haven't paddled any of the lynx models. But if you are going to be out on the ocean with an inflatable and you want to run rivers it looks pretty nice. You can order a removable skeg that looks like it will go on any of their IK's. It has a glue on patch and the skeg goes into a sleeve. you will definatley want that for flat water. The lynx also have smaller tubes which will catch less air so you will not be blown around as much on the ocean as you would in the outfitter. Aire are great quality boats. And I think that the Super Lynx would do what you want it too pretty well.
You definetly wont go wrong on quality with an aire.