Old 06-28-2012   #21
juneau, Alaska
Paddling Since: 2
How long has anyone owned a tomcat? The 1 yr warranty scares me a little. Take it on flatwater much?

I'm not looking much at WW here but do want to do at least a few WW trips in the next year or so.

AKHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012   #22
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I've owned mine 3 years and it gets used ALOT on class 3 run Shoshone in GWood Springs and we love running Browns Canyon in it! It gets a ton of abuse but it also gets a ton of love when we clean and stow in with powder and 303 Aero Space protectant each month. It has been used a few times on Lake Dillon for fun trips out to the islands. Great boat to roll up put in the trunk or closet during winter!

SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #23
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by AKHiker View Post
How long has anyone owned a tomcat? The 1 yr warranty scares me a little. Take it on flatwater much?

I'm not looking much at WW here but do want to do at least a few WW trips in the next year or so.
I have owned a tomcat for a little less than a year, it has seen some class II-III and some "flat" water (the Columbia river in Oregon is flat but swift in places), the tomcat did better on flatwater than my NRS bandit largely because of its weight (36 lbs vs 17) but it was still a struggle; and not very enjoyable to paddle for this use. Stay away if your intention is to paddle a lot of flat water.

On whitewater, the Tomcat is enjoyable and totally worth the money. I know people that have had them for several years of relatively hard use with no significant issues. The adage, "you get what you pay for" comes to mind, and what I am currently getting with my Tomcat, is well worth the price. I'll say it again...if the Lynx is within your budget, there is no doubt it is a superior boat. Can't beat the 10 year no fault warranty.
but can you see its opposition | comes a-rising up sometimes | that it's dreadful and position | comes blacking in my mind | ....and then I see a darkness
laterwagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012   #24
LAX to SEA, 90032
Paddling Since: 2009
I have an Aire Super lynx and love it! Comes w removable aluminum skeg. Works great for flat water and class I-III ww.

Loads me my wife and two dogs. Bombproof construction killer warranty. No added costs or repair needs. Also reccamend Canon wave paddles 230 cm and
K-pumps. Buy good gear once and be done.

scotttoland is offline   Reply With Quote