Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-12-2011   #1
Park City, Utah
Looking for advice about New Mexico, Colorado

My fiance and I are headed towards New Mexico- Colorado next week. He's a class 5 creeker- but I'm a little more limited. We were looking to do some class 3 somewhere around the northern NM, southern CO region. Any advice? Also if you have any good advice for him on some class 5 creeks he could do. And if shuttle wasn't too bad- like we could bike or hitch hike the shuttle- those would be even better.

Misha.SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011   #2
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
RaceCourse/Pilar section of the Rio Grande II/III
Rio Chama Day run (monastary to Big eddy) II/III
both have bikable/hitchable shuttles. both are in right now, although the chama is probably higher on weekends

Upper Taos Box V
Lower Taos box (over 600cfs) III/IV
the other creeks are pretty marginal now
Southern CO= Animas, Piedra, Vallecito, etc...
Central CO= Arkansas River,lake creek,OBJ, and many, many others.
gunnison gorge, and westwater on the way back to utah are a good bet.
Colorado people will have better beta for you on whats running. (or look at the flows at the top of the page)

abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011   #3
Front Range Swim Team
FRST, Colorado
The creek to do in northern New Mexi is the Embudo. Abron is correct, it isn't exactly flowing at a normal flow, and some people with an aversion to the mank will disagree, but I have a buddy who has been on it a bunch these past few weeks and he says it is good to go. He said it is certainly manky and low, but it still goes, and it is still good. If your dude is OK with mank boating, and if the Rio Pueblo near Penasco gauge is flowing at least 65cfs or so, then the Embudo goes. If this is still flowing next weekend, there will probably be a few people there running it.

What specific areas of southern CO are you planning to be in and maybe I can give you better beta...
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011   #4
Lost Almost, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2002
What abron said. Also, there's the San Juan at Pagosa Springs, CO. I wouldn't recommend a bike shuttle, but it's doable. Easy III with tons of play. Watch for the flow to come up as the weather warms. I think 1000+ is the sweet spot. Probably easy to find locals to shuttle with on weekends, assuming good flow. American Whitewater - 01. Pagosa to Trujillo Rd, San Juan Colorado, US

There's the "Mama Chama:" American Whitewater - 3. Los Ojos to El Vado Lake, Rio Chama New Mexico, US. Also, White Rock Canyon on the Rio Grande. Both remote and scenic. You'll definitely want a car for shuttle for these two. Could possibly hook up with locals.
utidcapaco is offline   Reply With Quote