Old 04-28-2008   #11
Fort Collins, CO
I agree with everything Dave added. In my estimate, I would guess that 80 to 90 percent of the water in the N. Fork Virgin was coming from Deep Creek. If you could find a way to get into Deep Creek higher up in the drainage, that might just be the ticket.

As far as the scenery goes, it is fantastic. In places, the canyon narrows down to maybe 30 feet or so, with vertical walls towering over you 100's of feet. It's basically like paddling through a fracture. The paddle from the confluence with Deep Creek on down is great - getting to the confluence is the hard part. I would also go back, provided there is enough water in the upper 6 miles to actually float my boat. Note: we saw at least 2 diversions in the 1st 6 miles. There are also diversions in the park, like Dave said. These diversions prior to the USGS gage make predictions of upstream flow somewhat problematic.

Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #12
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Thanks for the beta guys!
The backcountry desk guy Brad mensioned putting in on Deep Creek way north but had never heard of anyone doing it.

I wonder if that would be a first decent? Ohh, and with 300 plus foot cliffs with no escape I wonder how would the mandatory fallssss and random unportageable gnar would be?

I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #13
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I'm suprised the ranger mentioned a Deep Creek launch. I was backpacking there last fall and the park won't issue a Deep Creek to the Virgin Narrows backcountry permit. They might be ok with kayaking since you actually want high water, but I'd call before trying that one.

You can access Deep Creek from Hwy 14, but you're at the top of the drainage. There are some roads past Kolob Res, to Virgin Flats, that might get you close farther down below the larger tributaries.

riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote