Old 02-15-2013   #21
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'm reluctant to discourage more water parks, but I tend to agree with a couple comments above that the biggest problem with WW parks in CO is the lack of water. If Longmont puts in a park that runs 6/1 - 6/20, the chances of me using it are about 0%. If it has a park that runs in Oct or March, that would be great.

It's good to hear they're going to improve Confluence. Water quality is certainly bad, but when I'm trying to prep for a trip and it's the only place with water in it, I'm thankful. It's got the longest season of anything on the FR, for sure.

CO boaters seem to have a bad attitude about boating in anything other than ideal conditions, which is odd considering how short our season is, but I guess reflects all the other cool outdoor sports available. Seems like the old generation of top notch boaters would hone their skills all winter running gates in class II and freezing temps in DC so they could fire it up during runoff.

Lack of quality play holes in the existing parks, in my opinion, reflects that the cities are interested in creating popular spaces around these parks, not creating world class play holes. I think Boulder hasn't done anything to their park for years because they have no incentive. It's super popular rightnow (tubers, swimmers, runners, walkers, drinkers, gapers, Dave Frank), even though the features are kind of a joke. Seems like the same with Golden. There is untapped potential in some of the features, but it's packed with people in and out of the water, so they have no incentive to pay $ to improve the features.

Back on topic though, it says the city has a RICD for a WW park, but what does this equate to in terms of actual cfs during the year?

KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013   #22
Ft Collins, Colorado
Well, all those near Longmont should be happy. I'm still baffled, and disappointed, that Ft Collins, with the Poudre and a very active boating community, is so far behind Lyons, Longmont, Boulder, Golden, Reno, Pagosa, Durango, etc, etc. I can't believe we're so far behind. I wish our city leader would wake up and see the light.

Oh well, I think Longmont should go for it. I hope they develop a great park that attracts boaters and all those that just enjoy spectating. Seems like all these river parks are great attractions and a good way to help people appreciate the resource.

johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013   #23
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Oklahoma city of all places is putting in one of those Olympic center WW parks like the one in NC. OKC has maybe three kayakers including me ( and I've been in CO now for over 20 years). So yes great idea for CO

Originally Posted by LongmontRafter View Post
I saw one of these posted in another thread...great idea for Colorado (and Longmont)!
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013   #24
golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

Sounds great! Having seen MANY parks in several countries, I'll kick in a few ideas of my own.

-No matter what else is listed as a priority, make sure that one of the top priority is to create a least one playable feature for low water...looks like there's generally more than 50 cfs in the river from march to november. You won't get a fantastic playspot with just 50 cfs, but you could have something constricted enough to be deep enough to cartwheel/loop, which would give paddlers something to do during some months when there isn't much else to do. There's already plenty of things to paddle during peak flow season, so creating another alternative is less valuable than creating something that will work during other times.

-create some sort of financial accountability system for whatever group is building the park...if a committee doesn't approve of the quality of the features after a year, a bonus is withheld and another company gets to come in and fix it (plan on spending some $ to fix whatever's originally usually takes several tries to get something that's very good (like BV, Salida, Lyons, etc...which have been improved several times))....BUT if an oversight committee is satisfied with the quality of the park after a year, the $ saved on improvements could be given to the design group as a bonus. Otherwise there is no incentive for the design group to get it right, and there have been many crappy WW parks built with zero accountability.

-look into the guys @ for planning/construction (builders of Glenwood/vail's redesign). They seem to have fewer total failures than the other larger design groups.

Stephen Wright

stephenwright is offline   Reply With Quote