Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-14-2009   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Long Hype for Downstream Edge Swiftwater Rescue Clinic

In July I took part in a swiftwater rescue clinic, organized by the Colorado Whitewater Association and taught by Nick Wigston from Downstream Edge. Been so busy paddling since that I haven't gotten around to posting my experience.

I found this to be an invaluable experience for even the beginning kayaker.
For way less than the cost of a decent paddle I learned not only rescue techniques and strategies but also safer approaches and tools for running rivers. Most of this class had to do with the mental game rather than actual boating skills, and had a lot to do with preventing rescue situations from the get-go. Next came the "what to do" part for when the rescue ensues. I now know I don't need a PhD in engineering to peel off a pinned kayak or to grab a swimmer off a rock. Moreover, I'm more confident that I (and people on my cruises) won't panic and lose that decent paddle in the event of a swim.

I'd highly recommend a class with Downstream Edge for any budding leader or sweeper. I'll likely take a more advanced course with them next season or thereafter!
phlogistonrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off