Old 03-24-2006   #11
in a van down by the river, California
Paddling Since: 1974
boat locking

Your concern is understood. Locks and cables and all that sure seem like we're headed the wrong direction. I've always left my boats unlocked, on purpose.
Whats more dicey than leaving your kayak unlocked ? Stealing a kayak.
(Thieves DO carry around bolt cutters and thus their success ratio.)

Yet, I remain a firm believer in karma;
ie: IF you are dumb enough to steal a kayak, I can guarantee you will die in it.

I'll reclaim my boat after I push your bloated white corpse back into the current.

Kayaker dont steal kayaks.
And *when we catch the kayak thieves, we should make their names public and submit them to a fireline of paddle slashing by all available volunteers.

kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #12
heres an example of karma in action:
a friend of mine had a way of stealing from a well known sporting goods store. He was a climber, and very good at it, he was just poor. I never condoned what he did, but who was I to say something to him. He fell on a cam in moab that he had stolen, it failed, and he fell about 25 feet to the ground and broke both ankles. There should have been no reason that this piece of equipment didn't work, and he had been climbing long enough to place it correctly. The only logical explanation was karma. Dont steal anything, and expecially don't take things that are meant to keep you alive. He is lucky it didn't happen in a different situation or he would be dead.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #13
Only problem with karma

I think most that steal boats are common theves that do it to sell them.

Will_Gosney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #14
I put "the club" across my cockpit and lock to that with a cable lock. Works good, but the club was free. Probably not worth it if you don't have a "the club" already.
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006   #15
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
This debate usually ends without resolution. Basically, thieves are wiley folks who, like hackers, will find a way around the system.

Example: The famous U-lock. When it came out, it was indestructable, and the surest way to store bikes. Theives ingeniously figured out how to break into the lock with a Bic pen and electrical tape. That problem was solved, but they got around that by using a 5-foot pipe and literally wrenching the U-lock off with pure leverage.

Cables for kayaks are best, but are only a deterrent. Thieves do carry bolt cutters, and make quick work of all except those case-hardened chains wrapped in kevlar. The newest lock out there is the Kryptonite "Fuggetaboutit." Again - they'll find a way around this one too.

The worst I've seen is a rack had two bikes and a boat - all secured via various reliable methods. To a thief, this one was worth it: they used a CAR JACK and simply pried the entire rack off the car: gear and all, causing hundreds of dollars in damage to the car in the process.

Case in point - you'll never win. Just be vigilant, and use a cable to keep people honest, and then store your gear in a safe place.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #16
pnw, Washington
I was never looking for a theft free system just a deterent. Thanks for all the input. FYI, Lowes has a 15ft 3/4"kyptonite coated cable for $25. Kinda big on the end so you have to make sure that it fits through your attachment points.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #17
pnw, Washington
sorry 3/8
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006   #18
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
F@#$% Crackheads!!!

So last night I went food shopping, and then stopped at my pops house to eat a sandwich i had bought for dinner.(i live outside of town a little ways) he has lived in the same spot for @ 12 years, and it has always been quiet, and i have done stupid shit like leaving my windows open all night, truck open w/ gear in it, boat on it etc... in the middle of Santa Fe, down Agua Fria. So... not a big deal, i did lock my truck as i do when i have the presence of mind,but the camper shell lock is a little loose, like you can pull open the rear window an inch or so. it needs to be re-adjusted (and bent back into shape now.) so while i was obliviously eating my sandwich and reading the paper, Some F@#^n crackhead of some type yanked on my back window until it bent the mechanism, and opened, and stole 4 of 6 bags of groceries,probably $150 worth of shit. So that sucks... but.... they *luckily* didn't notice my Tele skis, snowboard (both going for a tune) and my new down jacket, AND my 14"pelican case first aid Kit, and all my Volunteer FD stuff.
So there was a Crackhead (or three) Eating or some gourmet shit from whole foods last night ... rottisserie chicken, a couple bottles of wine, Brie, olives, a bunch of fresh veggies, gardenburgers, yogurt, (obviously i am bad at shopping conservatively) and after i was done bieng pissed about it I had to laugh, Thinking about whomever trying to figure out how to deal and cook raw salmon, halibut, and whatever other random shit i got (brown Rice vinegar?) It is actually a shame. i hope those fuckers needed that food more than i did, and that they don't waste most of it.

So the point of this story besides venting a little is too add to the 'opportunistic thieves' theory. i looked, and none of the other (securely locked) cars on my street had been messed with. Breaking a window is quick, but it is highly commiting, and loud. I guess i am lucky living in NM (VS CO or CA)most people (criminal types that is) don't know a drytop, a paddle or any other gear from their ass or a hole in the ground. Last time my truck got broken into, they slid open a side window that the latch had broken on, and once again ignored most of my boating gear, but they did take my pelican box, my favorite Carhartts and EMS pants that time (i actually got most of it it back, despite the low % of a chance in hell that that ever happens.)
I have since put a metal bar in the window to keep it closed, and i even drilled a eye bolt through the tailgate to padlock the back shut ( a questionable idea, since it F#%ed up my tailgate latch, and of course i didn't have the padlock on last night, since it requires effort, and i seem to only use it in "high risk situations" which can obviously be anywhere...)
So anyway i do also have a combination cable lock for my boats, which worked well in CA/Baja, if only to stop the oportunists. As my dad says, "Trust in the goodness of the world, but lock your S#!t up." don't leave anything to chance.
And May all Theiving Crackheads get Salmonella, Ghona-herp-asyphill-aids, crotchrot and founder in their own worthlessness...... unless they truly were starving and needed that food,(not likely) in which case i hope it sustains them long enough to get a Flippin' JOB.... and thanks for bieng too stupid or hungry or whatever to take my downhill sliding apparati. you can HAVE that stupid chicken, and i'll still have my way of staying sane and happy....... ... hope this provides a little amusement, cuz writing is better than getting a baseball bat or a gun and doing something stupid....
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #19
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw

That is a hysterical account.

Although it sucks.... you have the right attitude.

Classic nonetheless though...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006   #20
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Thanks.... I think it was helpful to spew that out.... i will be keeping my skis padlocked to my body until at least june tho.... j/k ...soon enough (like next week) here in NM they'll be in the basement for the summer.

abron is offline   Reply With Quote