Old 05-18-2011   #1
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Lochsa Mega Load Lawsuits

I know I've been remiss in updating everyone with all the happenings on the Lochsa Mega Loads. But shit, it's boating season. One thing they did do was prune/shear the entire wild and scenic coorridor with dam near hedge trimmers, so their precious load won't touch a single branch. In some places they properly pruned (and the trees look denuded) and in other places they left long stubs that will just die and look even worse. It was a travesty, especially the freaking bucket guy with a saw that swung out over the water right over me as I was lining up for Lochsa Falls. Many of the trees are now denuded, especially below our boating runs and down along the Clearwater. It was appaling that they would hack away at the Devoto Memorial Grove.

Some Scenic byway.

Idaho's contested case hearing ended last week, results should be be in early June. Expect this step to go in Exxon's favor. Hopefully then it goes to the courts, although Idaho recently passed a law requiring a 5% bond in order to sue for oversize load hauls.

In better news, Montana's preliminary injunction hearing is under way. It may end today. If this is won, then the project is stalled until the full lawsuit goes forward.

Megaload trial Day Two: Imperial says delays affecting work

There are so many reasons this project is wrong. If you agree, PLEASE donate anything you can to the two main organizations fighting this. I cannot emphasize enough the financial challenges of going up against BIG OIL.

Advocates for the West (Idaho)

All Against the Hall (Montana) - they are doing more organization, and have had some great ads out

Montana Wildlife Federation (Montana lawsuit)
Montana Environmental Information Center (Montana lawsuit)
Montana Sierra club (Montana Lawsuit.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011   #2
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Use less oil and gas. I've made a serious effort to do that, and it's not any trouble at all. Lighter boats, smaller vehicles to haul them.

Sorry to hear your treasured run is under the boot. Keep up the good fight!
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote