Old 05-09-2007   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
LL Pop vs. Riot Air 55

I have a chance to buy both boats and am wondering which will be better for me. I'm 5'10", 200 lbs. size 9 dawgs. Previous playboats I liked: Bliss-Stick Flipstick, Ace 5.1 and Big EZ. I liked the Ace and Big EZ, but wanted more playability. I liked the Bliss-Stick, but I can get a pop or Air 55 for cheaper and they seem lighter and, well, better!

I want to river run up to Class III and maybe easier class IV with it, with an emphasis on playing in every wave, hole, and eddy line I find (and playing in flatwater and everywhere else I can). I have a Dagger CFS for creeks and more serious waters.

Oh yeah, I live in Denver, and plan on being at the Golden WW park as much as possible and running the Ark some, too (I go there quite a bit) and maybe Lyons PP, too...

Which boat sounds better for me? Oh yeah, I can do all the slicey boat crap, cartwheels, splitwheels, squirts, etc...and I want to get into some aerials. I actually almost had the Flipstick looping on my first day in it. But, I want to be able to get downriver on rivers like the Ark.

climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #2
I have a pop. You can borrow it for a couple of days if you want.

My opinion is: the big EZ was a better river runner than the pop or the air 55 at your size. The pop is ok, but rides deep at our weight & you need to be forward focused in bigger water.

As for playboating - if you could throw down the Big EZ, you will have no problems in the pop.

Comfort for your size - get a newer model boat.

Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #3
The POP is only 50 gallons. I think its size would hinder your playboating. I used to paddle an Air 45 and wished I'd gotten the Air 55 instead (and I'm only 165 lbs). When river running, I was subbing out everywhere and when playing I caught edges in the holes rather than staying bouyant in the seam. I switched to a larger boat (LL vision 56) and my playboating skills increased greatly. It's easy to throw ends in a low volume boat in smaller features but I feel it's better to have more volume in holes that are powerful enough that you let them do the work for you (plus you can loop more easily). The volume certainly helps when surfing and getting into hard to catch waves. I'd bet you could get a newer, larger playboat in the 60 gallon range that would fit your weight range and your budget. CKS and others will be having their annual boat swaps soon.

brandonschmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Brandon, I appreciate the input. It seems like most of the input I've received is that while I might be on the line for the Pop I'm way in the clear for the AIR 55. The AIR 65 might be a better choice, but I can get these puppies for 300 buckaroos and can't find a 65 to save my life. I have a friend who's 210, paddles the Pop, and yeah, gets squirted sometimes on high volume river drops, but loves the hell out of it! Another friend has an Air 55, weighs 220 and thinks it's the best boat in the world. Oh yeah, he paddles class V in it!

Cliff, pm sent...I'd love to try out the Pop if you're around Denver. I'll be paddling Golden on the 19th. Thanks, BTW.

Adam out
climbhoser is offline   Reply With Quote