Old 05-18-2006   #1
No seas pendejo
Bonedale, Ra'do
Paddling Since: Nam
Send a message via AIM to Uncle B
Living in Glenwood

My wife and I might be moving back to Colorado and we're thinking about the glenwood area. I know about all the great rivers to run and rocks to climb in the area but not much about living there. we are both 25, active, and looking for a nice place to live. if you could give me some suggestions as to where that might be, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much, Brent and Cara

salvation is in the mind, be mindful at all times
J. Kerouac
Uncle B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I've always thought that glenwood would be an awesome place to live. Its close to lots of ski areas and rivers. Its a big enough town to have restuarants, brew pubs, stores and the stuff that might be hard to find in small mountain towns. Its also at a fairly low elevation, so it is warmer than up in the mountains.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #3
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I agree with DeepSouth. Gwood is a great place. The CO river is in your back yard. and you can travel 30 min. to Aspen to the Roaring Fork which is fun! Also the Crystal is right here as well. Let me know if you need any other info!
akblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #4
maybe Carbondale

My husband and I are about the same age and we jut got a place in Carbondale- cool little city-everything is a bike ride away.A National Geographic Traveler article coined it the "Ultimate Rocky Mtn. Hideaway" Glenwood is about 15 minutes-
nkellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #5
Local Paper

The name of the local paper is the Glenwood Springs Post-Independent and they have a good website if you want to check the classifieds
Jack Bombardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #6
I lived in that area for 3 years, great boating and climbing as well as all sorts of other outdoor activities. Had a house in newcastle approx 15 minute drive to gwood. The realestate in this area is pretty pricey unless you gowest to newcastle silt or rifle. Carbondale and all points south to aspen are very expensive. I personaly liked newcastle you get more for your money. I am 38 and was a bit challenged to find people my age to hang with who didnt have families. Seems like everyone was way older or in high school. Pluses were that I boated almost everyday during the summer no shortage of people to boat with just show up at the put in.
thogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #7
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I would live there. And just think, it's a reasonble drive to Grand Junction and all that Red Lobster there has to offer.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #8
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
My Gf and I are about the same age as well. Carbondale is rad. I bought a place in town last summer. 3bd 2.5 bath with a yard for under $250. Its an up and coming town with lots of things to do close to home. Good restraunts, some shopping and a great outdoor environment. There is also a decent job market with companies that pay pretty well regading the fact that we are in a semi tourist area. I have a great agent that I could get you in touch with that knows the hidden gems in the market...
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #9
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Glenwood is a wonderful place to live for all outdoor sports. You can climb at rifle or run meatgrinder after work. I lived in the area from Basalt to New Castle from when I was 23 to 27 and just moved to SLC, UT. There are limited middle age people to play with but it is easy to get people to visit. Also, it is a good thing that you packed your lunch, the datting sceen is bleak. There are more young people the closer you get to Aspen but the price of living goes way up. When looking for housing, start in carbondale and go down valley until you can find a place you can afford.
paddleutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #10
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
RF Valley

Coming from Seattle, the real estate shouldn't be a total shock. Obviously, the closer you get to Aspen the higher prices rise. Cheapest single family in Aspen is something like 2.4, Basalt median home price is around $700,000 and on down the valley. Carbondale is a cool, quirky town located in an amazing spot. The Crystal and the Roaring Fork converge at the base of Mt. Sopris.

I am partial to Basalt. Tiny town, close community. A lot of the business owners in Aspen live in Basalt. 20 minutes to ski at 4 resorts convergence of Roaring Fork and Frying Pan.

If you're into nightlife, it's pretty lame except for Aspen.
Other than that, you can't really go wrong in this valley.

mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote