Old 05-28-2004   #1
Lime Creek Info

I was interested in doing the first and third gorges of this run in a week or two. will there be enough water and what is this creek comparable to.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004   #2
Redcliff, Colorado
We ran 1st and 3rd gorges then out through the rockwood box on Memorial day. The entire run took eight 8 hrs at a pretty good pace with no incidents. None of us had ever seen any of the run ( with the exception of the amimas), so we did some scouting in the first gorge. The beta in CRC is actually very good with the named rapids in the first gorge being the mandatory scouts. The 2 miles above the second gorge are pretty fun read and run class 4 boulder gardens although tight/bony in places. Big carry around the entire second gorge ( 1:15); although there may be a way to shorten it. We humped out the right side, through a small draw, then contoured around till we could drop back to the river. Reminded me of the Green monster on the Clark's Fork. 3rd gorge is pretty casual class 4 read and run, very easy to boat scout ( with the exception of the first drop). Wood is a concern on the entire run; see recent posts on this issue, and check out the alerts forum. Start early, and be ready to boat scout.

Have fun.

cebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004   #3
I was on that trip with Charlie and would add a couple things. We got a relatively early start (10:30) which might account for what I would consider low water (it was also damn cold all weekend). When I checked the gauge for the Upper A today, it showed a significant drop throughout the weekend and we probably paddled through Rockwood at just under 2,000 cfs. I wouldn't want to do the Lime Creek portion with any less water than we had on Monday (Adrenaline Falls was super thin). Consider using Monday's flow as your indicator. On the upside, I'm confident the river will be on the rise again with warm weather this week. There's still a decent amount of snow down there.

I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere else on the 'buzz, but I thought the most significant wood hazard we saw was in Landslide Rapid at the top of the 3rd gorge. Wood is blocking every channel, forcing a portage. The other dicey areas have been pretty well covered. Be safe and have fun. It's an epic day.

willoughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004   #4
I ran the lower through Rockwood box yesterday and it is still good to go. I plan on running it Friday too. I love this run!! It is beautiful and great read and run IV w/ one easily portage, if you want, on the one V. The wood portage is a bit tougher w/ some rope work on river left.
Johnny P
Johnny P is offline   Reply With Quote