Old 08-07-2012   #41
Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Here is the new stuff on the JK site.
Jackson Kayak’s 2013 NEW Product Page - Jackson Kayak - Whitewater, Recreational, Touring and Fishing kayaks Jackson Kayak – Whitewater, Recreational, Touring and Fishing kayaks

Looks good!

peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #42
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
JK vs LL vs WS

The Karma seems to be filling the JK line against the LL Stomper. LL has the Jefe / Stomper / Remix quiver. JK has the Villain / Karma / Zen quiver. I have to say they are all great boats. However, I think I give JK designs the win.

I've been paddling both the Villain S and the Stomper 80 lately. The Stomper 80 easily fits well. However, I only recently got the Villain's seat positioning pretty well dialed in ... it's very sensitive and critical to the Villain's performance ... and designed my own foam thigh hooks so that I'm wearing the boat rather than it being like a pair of baggy britches sliding off me. While I greatly enjoy the Stomper, the Villain S has an inviable subtlness that inspires confidence once dialed in. (Again, I only say that after a lot of work to outfit a big boat to fit to my liking. It has to be a comfortable extension of the body.) I only wish JK would take my advice and add adjustable thigh hooks to these large boats. It can be done without changing the mold at all just by securing them to the interior wings by the rope cleats. It's either that or I wish they would design a third size of a bit smaller deminsion in the 72-74 gallons size.

And now the Wave Sport Recon will be a very strong competitor, too. WS has always made great fitting boats. Nonetheless, I wish their small Recon was going to be 73 gallons and not 70. I mean, why not keep in trend with their 83 and 93 theme? The Y (73g, I think) and the Habitat 74 were both great sizes for us smaller boaters. These 80, 90, and approaching 100 gallon boats these days are big ... and aren't naturally worn like an extension of the body unless you are a taller person to brace the insides.

Anyhow, all I can say is that the above mentioned boats are, no doubt, all strong performers. Too bad we didn't have boats like these 30 years ago. Youngsters got it good these days. Whitewater boating has never been as easy to accomplish and enjoy as it is now with any of these boat designs. Thanks to each manufacturer for keeping whitewater at heart.

No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote