Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-16-2008   #51
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Not a Beatdown Contender

I'm happy to report that I'm not a contender for the beatdown contest but I felt like I needed to answer Atom's call or suffer ridicule next time I see him. I swam in Spencer Heights today in the last bigger rapid with the right to left move followed by a big hole. I tried to hold my line despite the river requesting I go far left and dropped into a squirrelly hole that flipped me. After trying a few rolls and getting the snot beat out of me on some rocks I yanked the skirt, grabbed my boat and Oliver helped pull me to the side before the hole. On the positive side, I got to run a new stretch of Rustic looking for the paddle I lost (Yellow/Gray AT3)- it's a pretty fun stretch. On the negative side, I never found the paddle.

Vaya Con Rios!

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #52
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Swim number two for the season. Lame ass swim though. Broke all my paddles so I was hand paddling and went into Pineview and tried to surf the hole. I almost had it stable but then it just took my nose and flipped me. Rolled and was heading for the Disneyland splat but didn't get the greatest angle, dropped into the hole and missed a roll. Then I stopped moving tried rolling about five more times and was carping like I never carped before and then realized that I was pinned against Highside rock and was going nowhere. After another ten seconds of trying to find my skirt handle I pulled. Total BS. I haven't swam that rapid since the first time I ran it.

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #53
Boulder, Colorado
swim team

1 - Canyon Creek pin to step out with a torn skirt
2 - Eagle Creek (Punchbowl) over the handles to auto eject
3 - Canyon Creek (prelude)
4 - Green Truss (big brother) already gotten roped out of an earlier drop fortunately stayed in the boat and blame the swim on being tired (lame!)
5 - Little White Salmon (Master Blaster) broken paddle
6 - Patria pin to step out in a tweener bs rapid
7 - Little White Salmon (Stovepipe) plugged and decided to go caving
8 - Little White Salmon (Boulder Garden) pin to step out
9 - Eagle River (Slurry) claimed in the last hole

I have now accumulated more swims in 2008 then all my previous seasons added together, looking for that magical # 10...and oh yeah I don't drink booties or buy ice cream!
irony thief
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #54
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
i'll fess up my first swim of the year. it was lame. poudre - pineview. i was in the eddy where the gauge is painted when i noticed my buddy carping after a flip in the first ledge hole. i saw him go down disneyland upside down, so i peeled out rather quickly and ran the top busy water and got a little jacked up in there. the ledge hole flipped me. i rolled up and eddied out in the normal place. ran disneyland and got flipped in the busy water run out. rolled again. got flipped again and floated into the large house rock river left at the end of the rapid. thought i was going to broach, so i freaked and pulled. i surfaced in the very calm and deep water in the runout to the rapid. ridiculous.
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #55
DIllon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
So...I thought I was a class 3+ boater!

So my friend go to run The Taylor today, Taylor Caynon Run. The book calles it a 3+ run. The Gauge was reading like 684 but above on The Upper Upper Taylor its reading 895 best we could figure it was some where arround 900cfs we figured more like class 4s-4-s. Any how... We put in below The Slot I made through Inniation and a few more rapids. All together I may have ran a mile and a half untill I went off a rock/pour over sideways and into a hole. The Sad thing is that my sorry ass for some unknown reason freezes up and pulls my skirt! First thought Dumb ass now what have you done. So after swimming a good 2-300 yards of holes waves and rappid I finaly get to a micro eddy after the undercut cliffs I swam by. My boats a quater mile down river(Thanks Mike) on the bank and I have to skirt cliffs, rocks and willows to get to it. As Im trying to get to my boat I twist my ankel in a rock. (what a F--kin puss) Now Im pissed off, and hurt I portage untill I feel comfortable to put on again (wow what a puss) After a short ride down the river I finaly take out on the road side and walk down to the car. Total walk of shame along the Taylor River! I thought I was a better boater than this! Im not making excuses but Im thinking that this run was a class 4 and not a eddying hopping beginer run "for the novice to experiment and experience" (New Testament) This was a read and run hole stacking, ass kicking run today! Needless to say I got my but kicked but the Taylor river I should have known better than to put on there today! Margerita was bought for Ice Cream and I will Drink My Bootie Beer. As you all know the River Gods are always listening!

Be Safe Out There!
2 Trailer Park Girls Go Round The Out Side!! "M"
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #56
The Taylor is no slouch........ I have seen it take many boaters(including me this season). I got flipped surfing a wave and ran a couple rapids upside down before I started taking rock head shots! Commence pullage and I swam into the first eddy I saw..... I was pissed at myself but it opened my eyes to what people take for routine(It is my after work stress relief run). None of my friends do booty beers so I will have to drink one next time I am at Atom's place sitting around the fire.........
sandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #57
DIllon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
[quote=sandoz;101617]The Taylor is no slouch........ I have seen it take many boaters(including me this season).

Thanks I feel a little bit better after reading your post. I lived in CB for 8 years and ran it years ago. I never thought it was a III+ I always thought is was a IV+ at big water. I cant seem to figure how the Top was at 895 and the lower at 1250 and the upper below The Slot was 685cfs???????
2 Trailer Park Girls Go Round The Out Side!! "M"
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #58
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i was on the taylor this weekend too, but we ran from deadmans to almont.

the gage says 1170 in almont at 700 at the dam, which means there is roughly about 850-950 in the Upper, depending on just how much is coming down Spring Creek.

There are several medium feeder streams in the canyon the help make up the difference between the Dam flows and Almont flows. Spring Creek is usually the biggest, but lottis, excelsior, and crystal creeks all add their respective flows before the Upper section.

sorry to hear about your swim, glad you're alright....I always thought the Upper got a little easier at these levels. The main waves and holes get bigger but with that much water sloshing down it opens up innumerable other lines, including sneak channels. just be ready for the big lateral at the bottom of the slot and thats it......i would call the top section (holy mirroli, the slot, initiation, and the squeeze/phils flume) class III+/IV- at these high levels but the rest of the river is still III all the way....
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #59
Got my rubber swim in and my hard boat swim as well. Floating down the San Juan outside off Bluff Utah, enjoying the sun and frosty adult pops when I give up the oars to my friend 2Finger. I sit down to enjoy a one-e and up comes Goverment Rapid (class 3 tops). Well in I went...don't worry, saved the one-e. Hardboat...cruising down Castle and got squirted, tried and tried and tried to roll to no evail. When I was finished talking to the trouts and out of breath, well you know the rest. Pulled knowing it was gonna suck...and I was right.
arenella76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008   #60
Paddling Since: '93
Another bruised ass

Most are probably tired of reading 6 pages of swims at this point, but I always feel compelled to admit my own, to myself as much as anyone else. I also like to say, whenever I swim, that I'm glad to have gotten my swim out of the way for the season, which itself warrants another beat down...
So my first swim this year was on Clear Creek at 500cfs. Hit the rocks left of center in the entrance drop, and went upside down before I finished blinking. A few weak ass, off-the-couch roll attempts went nowhere, so I blew hatch and initiated an everything must go yard sale. Swimming thru that next 4 foot ledge hole, then the meat of Mr. Bill's wasn't that fun, especially hitting my ass on rocks deep in the hole. Fortunately my bro's suggested I keep all that gear, so they collected it all neatly on shore for me. Not sure why the booty beer wasn't enforced, I think I looked too pathetic and beat down.
I wonder when I'll swim next...

barret is offline   Reply With Quote