Old 06-06-2008   #11
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
golden canyon--n. fk.'s sister on the s. fk clearwater

steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Rigormortis finally punched my ticket this year. Plugged the right side of the horseshoe entrance, which flipped me and blew me into those nasty rocks upside down.

Fortunately, the shore crew was right on top of it, and got me a rope before I had to go swimming thru that hole.

Booty beer penalty paid in full and documented on video somewhere out there...

I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #13
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I swam in Life After Death on Barrel between 3-4k.

My buddy was behind me and saw me swimming and went right on by. After I got out he said "Oh, I've seen you swim before and know how good you are at it. I was only worried about your gear" --- Thanks for getting my stuff Miah.

Also swam at the G-wood playpark in April. I have a list of excuses but the real reason was out of shape, out of breath, early season sillyness. Someone paddled up to me to offer help getting me to shore. I could only look at them, thank them for their concern, and explain that I would clean up my own mess.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #14
Denver, Colorado
Hey Atom, this is Steve from last weekend. I feel the need to post since I had mentioned reading this forum and you know I swam at MJ falls last weekend. All my runs last weekend, including the swim, inspired me to add the Embudo to my list of favorite runs. Thanks.

I hope you saw the ice cream picture in the creeking section, I am not sure of the context, but it sure sums up my view of that rule.

I like the quote from above: "forgive me father for I have swimmed".
biggs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #15
i swam on hospital rock on the middle fk kaweah and on the giant gap nfk american in cali. I bought beer, but i think i still owe my real dad a kids style beer.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #16
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Brian you owe me all sorts of shit. I swam in th Gap after getting Brian's boat and having it pull me out of the eddy. Thats it. No colorado swims so far.
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #17
Rotorua, NZ
so, NSV joe, ben, alex and myself on wednesday- I got pinned in the runout to cascade 1- not too bad but wasn't pretty either. We made probably 20 wood portages, I landed on Joe in the runout of the cali section when he was pinned at the bottom of the slide (pic of leif in the book), then Joe had a tough line in eye of the needle, got smacked about a bit, lost his paddle but was able to roll up. Bu no one swam that day, but if you are planning on going in there be ready for a lot of wood all over the place. oh and as far as swims, I had one in april at tunnel, go figure.
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #18
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Bless me father for I have swimmed (sic), it has been six seasons since I last pulled the cord.

Little White Salmon, first drop of The Gorge rapid, level was ~3.3. This is a perfect example of why you want to look where you want to go. The old "look at the spaces not the trees" trick, if you're skier. Anyway, there was an AT wedged vertically in a cave to the left of the line. I was so mystified by it that I starred at it as I dropped in. Bad move. I tractor beamed myself into the cave between the paddle and the wall (not a big deal had the paddle not been there, you could just duck and come out the other end). I snagged my paddle on the AT. I tried to tuck and duck but had my paddle ripped out of my hands instead. I flipped and pulled the cord immediately, seeing no point in trying to punch one of the worst holes on the run and eddy out above/run Stovepipe with my hands (I ain't no Rush Sturges). The swim was short, my boat ghost rode Stovepipe and eddied out in the wood pile at the bottome for me, my paddle pinned horizontally across the AT. Within 20 minutes I had retrieved all my shit and paddled out with a new found respect for that rapid and a soon-to-be-raging case of poison oak... on my balls. Wash those hands kids.

Oh, and GaryE still needs to shoot a boot for his yard sale on the Clearwater. We didn't have the heart to enforce the rule right then and there.
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #19
Fort Collins, Colorado
I got ya all beat

Dolores first weekend May, 2008, Raging at 1,100 whoooooo , Right off launch of Cahone, Water flat as a pancake, small swirl on eddy line, flipped, missed my role twice swam, picked up after the sale, repeat x 1 Man I suck.
If you see a blue Super EZ float by this summer on the Poudre, please do a brother a favor and push off onto the side. I'll be down later. I think I like the Saratoga Inn better.
Hope ya all having a great 2008 season.
Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008   #20
Today. Clear Creek of the Arkansas. 300 cfs. I popped the cork between 1st and 2nd Gorges. I think I just wanted to have something to post in this thread, so I successfully attempted a midstream broach. I then maneuveredinto a tail-first decent of the follow up rocky staircase falls, upsidedown. To finish my feat, (and my ride), I pinned myself against a rock on river-right, (still upside down), coming to a quick and complete and sudden stop. Not able to roll up, or even get the boat to budge, for that matter, I popped the cork... I stood up, grabbed the paddle and failed miserably at getting a grip on my Embudo. Bye-bye!

There is no trail on river-right, but I managed to walk (in shorts) through all kinds of scratchy, thorned, and pointy stuff. After my upper body and neck took a beating while upsidedown in the river, my legs now have simpathy cuts.

A lot more walking around occured after this, but to make a long story short, Brian Houle's party was able to find in under the water mixed in with wood, extract it, and pull it up the hill to a road, about 200 yards upstream of the takeout. We took out above the Third Gorge, by the way.

Today is why my last 5 boats have been high visiblity colors (yellows-oranges-reds) Much easier to find during recovery.... I also wear yellow dry top and PFD for the same reason, (knock on wood).

I might try this creek again later this year, after I brush-up on my obviously rusty creeking skills.

"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote