Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-01-2008   #1
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Let's begin the 08 stoke.. What's on your calendar for 08?

Seems like it's been a rough couple months on the buzz lately. SOOOO, I propose we start turning the tide a bit.

We have 100+ snow packs all over the state and surrounding states are just as good (NM, WY, AZ, MT, ID). Lot's of great kayaks in the market... All types of sizes now for everyone to fit into, and what looks like a perfect season coming up. Man I am so stoked it feels awesome!

Question #:
1. What class water were you paddling last season and what are your hopes for this season?

2. What new rivers/creeks do you have ear marked for 2008?

3. What new gear do you think is the coolest (anything from boats to nose plugs)?

Let the stoke begin!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Top 3 runs on my list (that I haven't already officially laid a date down for):

#3-Bailey Can't believe I've been here this long and never done it (been skunked several times, though)

#1-Zion/Sinawava overnighter

It doesn't get any better than this

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I was paddling class V last season, my hardest run was probably the NF Payette, Lower 5. Might try to do something harder and go for a first raft descent this season. I might also decide that I don't need to do harder class V.

I really want to get up to the North Platte and Encampment, also Cross Mtn. on the Yampa and the Upper Animas. The long trip will be my first Grand Canyon run in October.

There isn't any new equipment that I am really stoked about - Maybe a tiki umbrella and a margarita maker for hot days on flat water. Someone mentioned a solar powered ice maker - that would be sweet.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #4
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993

I am about to order one of these from Cabela's because my new favorite type of paddling is boating with my kids, Ruby Horsethief and Chama hopefully for 08.

Also stoked to do more river surfing this summer. My friend Zack is shaping a bunch of different designs for this summer. Bad Fish coming at you in 08.

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #5
Fred Gnarquist
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
i was paddling class 5 last season, hardest run being the upper crystal gorge, or lake creek,
as soon as i graduate from high school in may my friend and i are going to kayak for the next month in co, doing a big crested butte trip, hoping to fire up cinnamon gorge, stupid falls along with some crystal stuff such as north fork, and punchbowl falls and when the water drops enough the inner gorge, and possibly yule creek(scared).
then i am working and playbating tryin to earn money for a bc trip, im not sure what i want to paddle there, then earn money and playboat to go to mexico in the fall, hitting the alsaseca up, and the teocolo, then come home, ski and earn money for a chile trip hoping to run the shit down there, and then come home, work make enough money to hopefully go to norway

so there it is the 2008 plan, should be good, see everyone on the river
fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #6
Fred Gnarquist
carbondale, Colorado
and the new equipment im stoked about is my new jefe grande, and the cool wrsi throwbags shaped as footballs
Old 02-01-2008   #7
B.F.E., Wyoming
What do you think of the new football throw bags? They look cool, think it will work with the rope connected to it? Considering the football pass is so accurate because of the spin it has on it I personally don't think it work very well over hand. But i still am getting one cuz its frickin rad!
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #8
Fred Gnarquist
carbondale, Colorado
i havent held one yet, but its a really good idea, i can only throw so far underhand, they should be sick though
Old 02-01-2008   #9
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Count... So you going to wear that jock-strap on your head or on something else? Either way, I'm afraid...
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #10
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Forgive me for just answering the last question but the absolute best gear I've purchased in a while are custom ear plugs. I've been using them for a while but just got a new pair. They are pricey ($80/pr. or $160/pr with sound permeable filters) but if it means not losing paddling days due to ear infections, not building up my exostosis, and avoiding the annoyance of trying to get the water out of my ears, it's totally worth it. They are 100 times better than Docs plugs and 1000 times better than those little marshmallows you can buy at Home Depot.
To get them you need to go to an audiologist but the $80 includes their services.

Vaya Con Rios!

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote