Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-03-2008   #31
Edge o' the Dust Bowl, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1982
Cheoah/Tallulah double-header in early April, then Cali trip with a Colorado option starting circa late May - Crested Butte and Upper A as targets in your fair state. Whatever in Cali - South Silver probably at the top end of our comfort/competence range (I hope?). Never been out there so will be sort of exploratory. Hoping to hike into Upper Cherry and take a peek at the granite fantasy-land.

Gear - anxious to see the new rescue vest from Kokatat (Ronin Pro) when it comes out. Love the Astrals but prefer zip entry. And will be picking up a pair of Sea Specs here in a week or three. Would appreciate hearing from anybody out there that has a pair (PM is fine).

ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #32
Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

I am sitting in my flat in Berlin Germany; I have not seen the sun threw this blanket of gray for about 4 months, and its been 6 months since I have done anything that would resemble an adventure. The last time I tried I went skiing in Austria 2nd run of the SEASON I got knocked out cold and spent 5 days in the hospital. Since then I have seen more old churches, buildings, and dam gift shops all over Europe then I ever really cared to.
To say that I am stoked for the season is a pretty major understatement. I have the start of my season figured out down to the minute. My season starts in 91 days 12 hours 51 minutes from right now. I leave Berlin on May 1st and come hell or high water(hopefully high water) I will be on the Monday release for the Upper Yough in Maryland on May 4th. I am going back to my roots a bit with an east coast trip with the hope of getting my boof back on the round rocks and warm water of the east coast so that I have some balls back when I get to CO.
I am in school full time this summer so I will be up for Poudre laps after class and weekends road tripping around the state. I donít really care what water I am on just as long as I am not looking at any more old churches or freaking gift shops!!!

As far as gear goes I am really looking forward to picking up a new WRSI helmet with the full face. I like the concept, I donít really want to be the guy looping with a full face helmet, but I do really want the face guard when I am running stuff at my limit. Gotta protect the money maker. I think itís a great idea and I hope they do well with it.

boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #33
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
hell, maybe buy a new boat for myself

I keep wanting to buy a new boat or two for myself, this is the year I might can do that. That is, after I buy my kid a new one. It seems he has his eye on the new Jackson Hero Sidekick. I'll probably end up boating safety for whatever river he is boating and/or racing on.

Might buy a raft in the spring too. Booze cuise almost sounds relaxing.
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #34
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999

Just revceived my brand new Jefe from CKS.

im stoked for a first desent that's within 30 minutes of casper = 2 class V+ creeks within 30mins of casper. and another that's 45 minutes away plus hitting as many bighorn runs as possible plus a couple in the windriver range.

staying in wyoming to hit up as many creeks as possible.

running the unrun 30+ footer 15 minutes outside casper
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #35
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I want to hit up the Upper Taos Box, Red River and Embudo early season, Escalante soon after. Then obscure thing i can get time for close to the FR....cayo and count, I am on the neverEnding quest to run as many sections in and around CO as possible. I would be down for quickies like Left Hand, stuff on the N and S st. Vrains or even Turkey (just to do it).

I really need to patch my broken Blunt (BEAR!) or buy a new boat...i need something bomber to follow the Blunt....new boats are wussy.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #36
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Sounds good,i didn't mean to imply I would run SSV that looks too stout for me ,the others I'd do at the right water levels if i was on my game.If you havn't got one by then I 'LL LET YOU USE MY BLUNT
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #37
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
A friend of mine had one of these on a Westwater float last year. This is about the only gear I'm lacking at this point in life.

Gas Powered Blender - Daiquiri Wacker
FYI I saw one of these for sale in a Autozone near my house at 38th and Federal, of all places. I want to say it was $150. I had to run away from it for fear of dropping into another geear purchase. Love that handlebar grip throttle.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #38
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Cayo, You too have a blunt! I think I met you on Upper Tenmile, maybe? Thanks for the offer. I am going to try to get something soon.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #39
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
jonny I've only duckyed the class 4 run on Tenmile
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #40
Seattle, Washington
I paddle mostly IV/V.

Since the last two months have been so snowy and cold up here, there have only been a hand full of creeks running and it's almost felt like a Colorado winter hiatus from boating. Looking forward to a nice 600+ inch snowpack in the spring to get things rolling.

Tops new runs on the list are:
Green Truss

Runs to hit if I make it back to Colorado this summer:
Black Rock
Big South/Spencer/JW

Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote