Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-01-2008   #11
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
had planned to hit the s. fk. salmon area for a few days and then paddle out to riggins. payettes on the way up and back. but maybe stay around colorado if the snowpack holds big.
otherwise area quickies like the upper dolores and uncompahgre and hopefully high water upper a and escalante.

steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
usually just 3 -4 rarely 4+/5-,goal = get back to old self in ducky ,get as good or better in hardshell.

Black Box-Huntingdon-Cottonwood
Fossil + ? in Arizona
Canadian,been trying to get this for years probably will run this year ,ran a
lame part once as did Atom but i think i figured out where the good part is.
Colo 1ST D, Sangres?this could be about the only chance,gotta be something probably short
Dolores first river ever did ,never been back

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

Pacific coast runs in Guatemala,Chiapas,and maybe El Salvador,always paddled the Carribean side river and ocean,Pac surf way better.

cARRIBEAN SIDE; Las Conchas and Polochic,Agua Azul been there twice boat havn't boated it III-VI DISNEYLAND

Privassion, Blancaneaux to 5 sisters
Rio On Pools to Privassion 1 ST D
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008   #14
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975

My big trip is a 90 mile float / 10 river days this August in SW Alaska on this river. Tickets are all paid up and bush flights reserved. Hopefully, a few bent rods for us too.

Looking to do a multiday IK run on Jarbidge/Bruneau. Hopefully, it runs well this year. Looking forward to it in a big way.

If that doesn't pan out then Hells Canyon in late Sept and hopefully some more bent rods on bass too.

Answers to the other ???'s . Run class IV and really no big interest in going beyond that right now. No super exciting gear I've noticed but did just add a tandem maravia IK to the arsenal for future low water,extended trips. Not a huge fan of duckies but they can get down the tight,technical,low water river with a good chunk of gear on board for the multidays.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008   #15
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Oh, yeah, and I've definitely reserved some stoke for runs that haven't gone (or gone big) in a while.

Crossin' my fingers that I'll finally be able to see Big Sur.

Hopin' to finally cross Leon, Buzzard, Grape, Sweetwater, Hensen, Hermosa, Cebolla, Willow, Lefthand, Proving Grounds, Upper Fryingpan, along with some runs on the Dolores, Gila (really want to get Upper and Lower Fossil in, too. Might make for a good road trip.), and Uncompahgre/San Miguel off the list. Might try and get a trip down the Dirty Devil and Escalante River if flows work out.

Bring it on!
"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008   #16
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Last years boating difficulty: Any line that I didn't think would cause me to explosively shit my pants if I ran it.

Stepping it up for 08: Got a case of depends and I'm ready to go big!

New colorado run most looking forward to: Upper Animas Overnighter

New Out of State action thats got me pumped: Oregon Huck Fest!

Best Gear: I'm just hoping to make it through 08 without breaking another creekboat. Since thats highly unlikely, my vote for best gear 08 would have to be BITCHITHANE!!!

Winter daydreams
-Quintessential colorado boating on the big south! Can't wait to get back.
-Peak runoff action with the crew, big boofs and big smiles all around
-Takeout beers with sun on my back and lots of comedy and shit talking after another awesome day on the water
-Lush green gorges in oregon with beautiful clean waterfalls.

08 is gonna rock!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008   #17
Durango, Colorado
Last season- lots of 5-, Big South lite, high water Bailey, Bear Creek etc.

This season:

1) Black Boxes- seriously, I'm obsessed with this run (memorial day weekend?) Also Left Fork Huntington while I'm there.

2) OBJ. No season last year. Gotta do it. Daisey too.

3) Embudo. should run soon...

4) Hellsgate- maybe this should be higher. Also will run real soon.

5) Barrel at a good flow. Escalante with more water too.

6) Everything in the San Juans that are going to go HUGE.

I could go on and on.

Deepsouth- Oregon??? hook a brother up.

Count- I admire your enthusiasm but question your judgement. Your list includes some of the crappiest runs in Colorado. Nobody has anything good to say about Grape Creek. Lefthand is like low water Bear without all the good drops. Cebolla, Sweetwater, aren't those Class III with lots of flatwater. Get your priorities straight son.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008   #18
pnw, Washington
Jmack, I believe that Count is on a mission involving checkmarks in a guidebook.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008   #19
Summit, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Alright, yes, a number of those runs are not spoken of highly. But I have also heard redeeming things about many of these runs (from people who have actually run them, not just talked shit about them). Sure, part of it is the checklist thing but a lot of it is actually more of getting closure for things I have been skunked on. There's nothing that makes me want to run something more than showing up to the put-in superstoked for the day and then not getting to paddle it. I've been skunked on Lefthand, Buzzard, Grape, Willow, and Cebolla. The reason a lot of these come to mind right now is that it requires a good snow-year to run them versus other runs that run regularly. Plus, did you notice that a bunch of the runs on my list are good runs, too?

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008   #20
Boulder, Colorado
07' gear of the year was the bitchethane, I had so many cracks that I had cracks running into other cracks (8 in all) that resulted in a scary upper blackwater run this winter before I retired her.

looking forward to in 08'
1) Valliceto
2)cali (upper cherry, east fork of the kawea, south silver ect..)
3) big south (from the source?)
4) hells gate (next weekend?)
5) black boxes
and of course BC (tatlow o yeah)
and the VC get those teams together

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote