Old 08-06-2008   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Yep. Thats where I end up too. It doesn't feel too weird to me. Seems to work ok. My preference would be to have the bent shaft grip wider, but its an order of magnitude better than my old breakdown.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #12
I'll chime in as well that the Lendal is a nice paddle, but
I have found I tend to get more flutter out of it than I
do with the Werner Sidekick. Whether true or not, I
also feel like I got more power out of a Werner paddle
blade shape (or AT for that matter) than out of the
Kinetik blades, not much but I have slightly better
acceleration with the Werner.

I do know I hit rocks more with the new Lendal, but it's
also 3cm longer than the the Werner was when it was
new, so that's probably closer to 10cm difference now

It does have a great locking system, and the ability to play
with paddle offsets is nifty too.

jtnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #13
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Diggin the Lendal

I have been paddling a Lendal for eight years and love it. My big reason was for international trips where the four pieces come in handy, obviously. After that trip it is all I use. I prefer the Fusion blade, which is plenty powerful enough for my taste.

It is my understanding that Johnson Outdoors is struggling to keep up with manufacturing after purchasing Lendal and moving manufacturing to the States (from Scotland). Hopefully they get it on track soon. Rutabaga in Madison, WI also stocks Lendal so they are worth a call if CKS and local shops do not have it stocked.

Do not worry Nessie - it is a Lendal!

ibyakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009   #14

I've had a Lendal for sea-kayaking since 2001 and loved it, so when they started making 4-pc whitewater paddles I grabbed one prior to a 2007 Mexican whitewater tour. I liked it sooo much it became my primary travel paddle, and I just bought another one from CKS prior to a Grand Canyon trip this July.
Unfortunately, while my Lendals were great for the low to medium volume technical rapids I've used them on previously, they were no match for the big water hydraulics of the Colorado in the canyon. On day one I snapped my tried & true (197cm CF bentshaft with the carbon kinetik blades) Lendal like a twig in the first wavetrain at Beaver Creek. No rocks, just bracing in the wavetrain. I was obviously dissapointed, but since I had my 2nd Lendal spare I wasn't too concerned. Until I snapped that one in a wavetrain in Granite a couple of days later. I was able to paddle out of the rapid single bladed, but having broked 2 Lendals in 2 relatively easy rapids really had me worried!
I started looking at the spares my friends had brought along, and they all looked way too flimsy. So I took the undamaged portions of the 2 broken paddles and was able to construct one whole (but slightly off balance) paddle which I used for the rest of the trip, taking special care to be exceedingly gentle with it.
Moral of the story? I still like Lendals, but will never use one as a main paddle on a trip again, especially on big water rivers. I still think it's one of the best 4-pc take-aparts ever made though.

jorge is offline   Reply With Quote