Old 03-01-2011   #1
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Legs Numb

So I bought a used Pyranha Micro 230 last year this time frame. The boat is perfect size feels great the guy I bought it from was same height and build so outfitting was perfect did not have to adjust anything. As I paddle my legs have gone numb after maybe 15 mins. This is a problem since some rivers I can't eddy out and pop my knees up to get circulation back and end up paddling with lower half numb until I can. Anybody had similar problem and figured it out? I was thinking thigh pads too thin they are maybe 1 cm foam pressing on inner thigh maybe compressing lower femoral? I may get thicker pads and just try Confluence slalom course so I can figure this out before the Spring melt. Thanks for info.

rodgers712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #2
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
If your legs are going numb after 15 mins then your outfitting is not perfect. Seat distance to foot blocks, back band tightness and thigh brace positioning and shape can all lead to numb legs. Everything should fit snug, but you shouldn't be losing circulation.

glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Yep, in the past I have found it's usually backband tightness or thigh pad position. Try adjusting a few things, I bet you can get it comfy.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #4
pnw, Washington
Thigh pad position or tightness. Its hitting your nerve cluster that goes down your leg. Change or reshape the thigh pad on that side.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #5
Golden, Colorado
If you feel anything: any extra pressure anywhere, or any strain on your hips or knees, then focus on that.

Personally, I think it is the design of the boat. I find older boats painful to sit in for long and they make my legs so numb that I can't just jump out and walk. I have to let my legs come back to life before I start walking.

I don't think I can sit in my old Pyrahna In-A-Zone 232 one more time. That thing is a torture chamber compared to modern boats.

In a more modern boat I have my knees higher. It is a more relaxed position for the hips. In an old-school boat your knees are low. It is like sitting cross-legged on the floor and having someone push down on your knees to stretch your hips out. It hurts like shit and it puts pressure on all the blood vessels and nerves in your pelvis. If you are really flexible its no big deal... the more I stay faithful with my stretching and kickboxing the more bearable an old boat is... but if I get tight then forget about it.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I second what Ture said about stretching and flexibility.
Stretching well before getting in the boat, and again at the end of the day, can really help.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #7
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'd recommend thinning or moving the hip pads. I spend weeks working on the thigh and back-band. However I moved my hip pad up about 1/2 inch and my numbness went away.

Stretching is also very helpful.
You ARE a soul, you HAVE a body.

rockinRio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #8
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
You could try thinking about other possible causes. Do you often get hella drunk before paddling? Perhaps that's causing you to lose feeling in your extremities as you get extreme. I had that same problem when I started paddling. It took me forever to figure out. That or maybe the hip pads.
leif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #9
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
^^ lol, Leif ^^

I too had similar problems with my WS EZG, and Micro 240. I found that there isnt any pyranha, dagger, wavesport or Liquidlogic boats that would fit me happily without a fair amount of modifications. ( I sat in ALL of them prior to visiting the Jackson reps at CKS. I really thought i would end up in an Ammo, Burn, Diesel, or Jefe Grande.)
I have been boating that same way for years. lasting all of 15-20 minutes.then needing to eddy out and get circulation going again, which would only last 5 min...or until the middle of the next rapid....
Not to jump on the Jackson bandwagon again, but the set up is SO much more anatomically correct, knees up and at a proper angle etc... that I have completely converted, and am not planning on paddling anything else, anytime soon. Not to mention ease of rolling,stability, dryness, etc.... I literally only fitted out the footblocks. Everything else is plug and play. ( And lucky me Clay Wright helped me be sure it was all perfect)
i am reluctant to say the best advice is to spend more money, but updating is the far and away BEST solution, just not the cheapest.
i just went through this dilemma last year. I sold both my boats mentioned above, and after a short very unsuccessful interlude with a Pyranha Everest...(with a 5 hour drive to gunnison to buy it and $300.00 lost on trade in after using it twice..)

I ended up breaking the bank to take home a New Villain and a used 4fun from CKS paddlefest. And I am really grateful because I seriously thought I was going down the drain paddling-wise. I felt more useless then a 32 y/o NFL runningback with bad knees.
but It was actually all my setup... (and being out of shape compounding that)

So theres my take on it. hit up Paddlefest in May to demo boats, or which ever demo day is closest to home, and trade in the micro, or sell it on CL or MB. and hopefully find a used,demo or swap boat at CKS for half the $$ of new.

that or maybe the hip pads.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011   #10
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I have had this problem since I've started boating and it still happens. It could be one of a couple things or a combination.
1) Your not flexible enough. I believe this is usually the case and I haven't fixed my problem because I'm to lazy to stretch.
2) Your backband is pinching a nerve or restricting circulation. To test for this I would totally loosen your backband, sit in your boat and see if your legs go numb.
3) It could be your hip pads. They need to hold you down in your seat, not push directly on your hips. Also with your legs being splayed out in the boat, the front of the hip pads could be pinching a nerve or restricting circulation. To test for this, take ALL of your hip pads out so your hips have no contact with the side of the seat. If this is the problem, try adding more hook to you hip pads and pulling them back so the front of your legs don't touch the front of the hip pads.

If you find a solution let me know.

Mmcquillen is offline   Reply With Quote