Old 01-20-2004   #1
Learning to Cartwheel

I am a relatively new boater who is trying to learn to flatwater cartwheel. I have a Riot Booster right now but I've been told there is too much volume in the ends to learn to cartwheel in it without moving water. Unfortunately I'm 6'1" 150 lbs and don't fit in many smaller boats. What boats would make learning easier? Any suggestions ???

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Try a Pyranha S:8 225

The S8 is slicey and well-balanced, and you'll have plenty of room in the boat- I'm 6'4" and it's very comfortable. I'm sure you would be able to grab one to demo from Confluence or Alpenglow.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004   #3
ski/kayak bum
wow 6'1"
and a boater

do you want to get together sometime? jk

keep trying with that booster, i learned to do a few tricks on flat water with it. it is possible to cartwheel it, and if you learn then throwing ends on a more play specific boat will be easy. that boat is the best around for learning everything on the river.
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004   #4
agree with Double, keep with the Booster. i have one and would recommend it to anyone. Surf, spin, run rivers and yes even cartwheel. Compared with boats three years ago, the Booster is short. It is possible to flatwater cartwheel just about anything made these days except an Embudo or the like. S8 however, would be very specific for your skill level and possibly not the best choice overall. Work on the mechanics of the cartwheel and you'll be able to do it in many different kind of boats.
surfpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004   #5
THere are lots of possible boats that should work. You might look at a superego - little older and longer boat but slicey with most of the volume at the cockpit ... and cheap to buy. S-6 is also pretty easy to Cartwheel. But like double and surfpiper said on the S-8 - thats getting into boats that are not as good for all-around river running if you are still learning the ropes.
Riodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004   #6
yea try the super ego. its really comfortable. i have an ego but my brother uses a super egoo and he is 5'10" 225. its very slicy. work on whipping ur body around to engage the move. rotating the body is something to work on.
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004   #7
Not sure what size booster you have, if its a 55 or 60 you're prolly not gonna be able to cart wheel it, at least anytime soon. If you run across a LL Session give that a try, leg room may be qustionable but great balanced low volume boat. Maybe a Perception Mr. Clean too, its got lots of leg room and very low volume ends, its not good for much other than that though, but should able to find one very cheap.

mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
I would try a Prion Delierious, or maybe the Big EZ. Both boats should be easy to find. If you have big feet, you might have trouble getting into the Delierious, but I think that is the most balanced and best cartwheeling boat around. Big EZ is also pretty good and easy to cartwheel. Of course, these boats aren't ideal for the new aerial moves, but they are more balanced, slicey, and easier to cartwheel (IMO) than the newer "aerial" boats.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004   #9
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Savage Fury all the way...
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004   #10
Shane who designs all the liquid logic boats is 6'1" and all the bigger ones of those are designed for him. So Pop, Space Cadet, and the new big wheel which should be easier to cartwheel than the space cadet. But the booster should be just fine Just remember to lead with your sholders and instead of rocking focus all the energy into one push

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is online now   Reply With Quote