Old 07-29-2008   #1
Denver, Colorado
Leaks, what's acceptable?

Been scoping out the swap for my first boat, found an ultrafuge close by for $99 in decent condition, however the guy said it leaks around the screws/washers. Not a whole lot, about a glass full after a couple hours was his description.

Is this something to be concerned about at all? Is it easy to fix on my own with some sealant or would a shop need to look at it? How much would it run me to have a shop do a thorough water proofing?

This seems like a great starter boat for me but I don't want to get something I cannot use without continually maintaining/patching. Going to look at it tomorrow morning, give me your thoughts! Thx!

Parsonsproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The Ultrafuge is a pretty slicey boat, I would be more concerned about fit/comfort and your ability to paddle it then leaks.....its next to impossible to have completely dry boat (yes I own a Jackson Kayak). If it is just the screws and washers then most of that can be worked on, make sure there are no cracks around the leaky screws or any other obvious structure damage. If it is more than just the screws/washers then it could be a sinking ship since they are older boats, at $99 I am guessing it will show some significant use, but could also be a steal. About a glass full after a couple hours is far less than some boats I have owned assuming its accurate.

Have buddies that learned in that boat and had a blast, also had friends who decided it was not the boat for them. My best advice would be to be sure its the boat design you want and then tackle the issue of taking on some water.

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #3
, Colorado
Ask the guy if you can fill it up with water to make sure it doesn't have any significant leaks/cracks. If it fits you well and seems comfy, then I'd say go for it. $99 is a good deal (assuming it isn't cracked), and I'm of the opinion that a slicey playboat makes the best 1st boat. They are unforgiving, but that forces better general either makes you a better boater quicker, or just really frustrated.
IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008   #4
Golden, Colorado
I wish that kayak manufacturers would use Loctite thread lock on their fasteners. Why they don't locktite the nuts and bolts that hold a grab loop on is beyond me. There are various strengths of thread locks, so they could just pick a lighter one for the fasteners that are frequently tweaked by users, like the outfitting fasteners.

You need to have double jointed orangutan arms to reach some of those fasteners after all the outfitting is installed in your boat.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote