Old 03-15-2004   #1
Lawson Hole Public Meeting!!!

As a CWWA board member I was sent an email from the Idaho Springs Open Space Commision :P and Economic Development Group. They are having a Public meeting about the Lawson Hole on March 23rd at 7PM. I would strongly encourage as many boaters as possible to attend.

Here's the message:
Dear CWWA Board member,

Clear Creek County Open Space is in the process of developing a whitewater park at the "Lawson Hole" - 10 minutes west of Idaho Springs. Next Tuesday, March 23rd, the County Open Space Commission will be holding a public meeting seeking public support for its development. Having support from the rafting community at this meeting will be crucial. Any chance you may be able to pass this along? The meeting is:

Tuesday, March 23rd
Idaho Springs City Hall (1711 Miner St.)
7:00 p.m.

I will also forward a formal invite that you may also share. Let me know if you have any questions.

Tim Mauck
Clear Creek County Open Space
(303) 679-2305

Hope people can make it support the Hole!

kayakingkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004   #2
I agree that we should support another park, but this is the one hole on the FR that is consistantly really good... PLEASE don't change it during the build of the park (or do everything possible to perserve it).

That whole area would be a sweet section to build; do you know if CCOS is planning more than one hole?

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
---- Yoda
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004   #3
I think that is great feedback and I hope you can either make it to the meeting or contact the person who wrote the email. The only thing I know at this point is what was in the email. I am not directly involved in this project. I am just trying to bring it to the attention of the boater group, so please attend the meeting or contact the organizer directly with comments. Please be very nice and friendly and realize that they are doing something good for the boating community, but are probably motivated by the news reports on Golden that say their whitewater park has brought millions to the city. They may not know a whole lot about hydralics etc. Which is why we need boater representation that is aware of the issues...

kayakingkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004   #4
Will do.
BTW: Thanks for the feedback about Ireland...
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
---- Yoda
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004   #5
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Lawson Hole

I met with the Clear Creek board earlier this year. The Lawson Project consists of several things. First, the access to the hole is on BLM land. Is does not belong to any rafting companies. So, they are going to improve the parking, build a changing room, and put in some bathrooms. They are also planning on building steps to the feature and a small set of bleachers above the feature.

I don't think there are any plans to do work on the hole it's self. Just some bank improvements. Gary Lacy and Shippley are contracted to do the work.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote