Old 05-11-2006   #1
Laws with children on rafts?

Well I agreed to take a friend and his cousin out rafting on friday evening. Pumphouse to radium. Turns out he will be bringing his 4 year old @ 40lbs. Being that I have never taken children, are there any laws about age, weight on a raft?

Also havent taken that route for a while, any strainers, dangers etc.. laying in the water?

As far as I can remember little gore is a real mello class3 compared with say... Shoshone. Do I remember correctly? I have a smaller boat and we will be riding heavy, so I need the info.

Jobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #2
Paddling Since: 1994
no problem with the run for a four yr old unless marauding beavers have ransacked eye of the needle with nasty river wide trees looking to ensnare unstrapped coolers. my kid was up there long before that and i think i have seen kids in diapers up there ( no wonder the hot spring is so manky). the only rules i have are : children 8 and under need one adult per kid not including the boatman and obviously life jackets at all times while in the water or raft for everyone. the jaket size should be a no brainer. at 40 lbs the kid is right in the middle of the "child" size pfd. just make sure he isnt going to show up with some horse collar thing for the kid.

as far as real laws there may be a lifejacket law for 12 and under but i am not sure.

it is a great run for kids and the perfect introduction to "rapids"

build them up to it. make it exciting. do shit like say BAM!!! when you hit the first little waves. the kids will play right into it. WOW that one was big!!

oh, if you are not familiar with the run, after the hot spring (river left) a little ways down on the right you will see a big rock outcrop that you can cliff jump from +- 20ft. cool thing is, just under it on the downstream side is "punk rock" this is the little jump rock for kids, about 4 feet high. i dont think my kid sacked up for it until he was 5 but a 4 yr old friend of his did just fine. the look on their face when they come up in the "freezing" water is priceless. its a good idea to have someone (whoever brings the kid) in the river for security, though it is a like there. fwiw.

zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #3
Golden, Colorado
yeah, i rowed it last weekend. no out of the ordinary hazards at that time. i think its more a II-II+ run even with the higher flows. pretty open rapids. one easy "s" move and nothing near shoshone. very 'read and run' stuff.

have fun and watch that kid like a hawk!!! darn cold water right now,for sure.
bkp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
In addition to being safe, one of the most imprtant things with kids is keeping them warm and fed. Make sure you have rain coats and maybe even blankets handy. The weather can change throught there pretty quickly. The last thing you want is a cold, wet, hungry, whining kid on your bow.

Another note on safety: I think the most dangerous times are on the shore. All it takes is a second of poor supervision to lose a kid to the river.

I've been taking my kid there since before he could walk; he loves it.

Have fun, Dave
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #5
Thanks guys I appreciate the help.
Jobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #6
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Call up outfitters in the area and you should be able to rent a kid-sized PFD.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #7
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
There are no laws that I know of for children. I took our daughter first down Ruby Horsethief at 6 months with a "pack and play" (Child Cage- for you people without kids) strapped to the back, which made us look like the "Clampets Go Rafting". Everytime we hit a riffle she would roll around the pack and play like a bowling ball.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #8
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
This would be a fun place for a kid with a PFD.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote