Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-11-2011   #31
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
GC Guide,

I'd love to see the video too and really appreciate your taking the effort to post them so folks can view them.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #32
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
I will do my best! Sorry that didn't work.....

GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #33
T up
summit co / Tucson az, were im at
Paddling Since: 00
lucky these two fools didnt get hurt!
t up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #34
InaRV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 12BC
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
I don't care if you have man breasts the size of watermelons nobody's going to push their way out of that. Point the stern down stream and PULL! The first guy is lucky he didn't get hurt.
Pull? Never!
Stay online and push.
bonzola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #35

I guess out there in Bigballsville, Colorado, folks don't mind hurrying even faster into a huge hole -- thus trashing their bodies and gear. Here in the timid upper Midwest, we see something like that and we start pulling away from it -- to slow ourselves down and let the ferry angle help us escape doom and disaster.

But then what do I know -- I'm a cat boater who uses Oar-rites and doesn't always drain his cooler when he should.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #36
Flagstaff, Arizona
Unfortunately there really is no upstream ferry in the big water. Use the fast current to move downstream ferry or ???????? could be ugly.....at least in G.C.
Old 12-11-2011   #37
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
so I just rocked a 14' boat through the biggest lines you can take on the Grand @ 22K

I pushed through them all.

The other 6 boats that got to run Lava successfully all pushed as well, but who the hell wants to see any of that?

I guess this is what happens when you send a bunch of kayakers rafting...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Russ in HERMIT!.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	4194  
I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #38
Hi GC Guide,

I've only got nine trips down there -- three of them rowing a 20' cat -- plus quite a few Cat, Deso, and Westwaters. (Living in the Midwest is a drag, but I still get to go to fun places.) So from a guide's point of view I might be considered short on experience, or perhaps my boats are too big to use the rowing technique being talked about here.

Sure, you can push through a line. But if you're in the middle of the Colorado, 25 yards above the meat of the Ledge Hole, at 20-25k cfs, unless you're in a very light fast boat, all you're going to do by pushing is speed up arrival at the scene of the carnage.

Ormaybe we just have have a terminology problem. Cautious guy that I am, I regularly go onto rapids rowing backwards, at an angle to the current, to move laterally in order to avoid obstacles downstream from me. And that's sure what I would have been doing here to avoid the Ledge Hole. If I errred in calling it an upstream ferry, I apologize for the confusion.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #39
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Oh boy, here we go.

It would seem to me (having not been there or anything) that this poor fellow had left the right hand shore after a scout and was trying to set up for that narrow tongue way across the river by pushing out there. He did not make it.

GC guide - would a strong upstream ferry not have gotten him there? It looks like it might have. There is no upstream ferry in big water? I'm pretty sure it's been done. I'm pretty sure you've had to do it every trip.

RichP - pulling through every rapid being in avoidance mode is no way to go through life son. It's certainly no way to run meat.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #40
Flagstaff, Arizona
Negative on the upstream ferry on the Colorado in Grand Canyon. There is too much volume and you cannot fight it. You MAY slow down some, but you will not be able to move across. 20K CFS is a lot of water to fight against. Those guys needed to be doing a lot more pushing a lot earlier. Lava is a decieving rapid and timing (especially on the Left run) is crucial. I do not recall ever using an upstream ferry to run any rapid in Grand Canyon, although I have used it to cross from one side to the other in a slow water area, but you are beating a dead horse trying to upstream in any rapid down there.......
We run a 22' Chubasco at the company I work for and other than House Rock, Hance, Crystal, Bedrock and 209, we PUSH it!