Old 11-13-2003   #1
Late November Gunny Gorge?

I think I am going to run the Gunny Gorge on Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving. Anybody done this? I haven't, but these are my guesses:
1) A long day. The flows will only be 300-350 cfs, so it won't be moving to fast.
2) A cold day. Cold air probably travels down the canyon from you bastiges in gunnison.

Anybody want to join me?

jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003   #2
ski/kayak bum
what the hell is a bastiges? dude i don't even know if you are insulting us or what?
i'm helping you so i hope you aren't being mean

Its frickin cold as a mofo up here and i'd be suprised if its running as high as you say or at all. but let us know how it turns out.

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003   #3
Gunni Gorge

I'm from Grand Junction, and I've run the gorge a few times. It's actually more fun at low water than at normal flows. It gives it kind a creek feel with a few nice little drops in it. It will probably be cold, but not much colder than Westwater Canyon in Utah. The whitewater is not very challenging except for the squeeze rapid, which involves making a move. However, I would still recomend trying it at least once. The lowest volume I have ran it at is 250 and that was fine. Also, I'd be up for running the Gorge the weekend after thanksgiving week.
970 210-4356
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have run the gunni gorge as low as 300cfs. It is a beutiful float and not very difficult. At 300cfs it is about a 5 hour float. I think it would be alot colder than Westwater, the desert sun is alot warmer. I would go with you but Wolf Creek is going off right now so I am forced to ski. Go and let us know, it should be a good time if you can keep warm.
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Did you go? I was thinking of westwater this weekend. Any beta on winter westwater?
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003   #6
Didn't make it. I was going to head over there, but the guy I was guying with totaled his car earlier that week. I went climbing instead. Probably a better november sport for CO anywho.

jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote