Old 04-30-2008   #1
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo

......there is a "LARGE WATER ALERT"... in the M-BOX.....3700+cfs(meow)....may try to hike in and look at some of the crux zones.....don't get me wrong i am very concerned(scared) about a trip thru there....won't touch it until it drops out a bit(i hope it is the coffee that is makin' me feel shitty right now) in the lower section(g.gorge) is on it's way to gettin' very good.....i remember skippin' a HURRICANE...on large 5300cfs....can make for a cold day seeing how we are in the "windy season" i am makin' this shit up but i think LARGE WATER is beyond BIG...beyond CRANKIN'....beyond what is deemed acceptable or FUN....JR meowmeow 420 meow cb......

milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #2
Palisade, Colorado
milo, are you baked?

peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
We dropped into the Diet M-box two weeks ago and the surfing was okay, some very good, you could see how it was just going to get better. About 3200 that day. Very fun. After the gorge you just coasted to the takeout.

We're half way down and here comes Milo paddling like he's an eskimo chasing seals or something -- to catch up with us for a shuttle. Pretty fun day was had by all.

If you go, take a playboat (also easier on the hike down). Depending on how much you play, I think it took us about 5 hours with several stops. The road was in good shape (still need high clearance).

The beach at the putin picture in CRCII was all underwater and the rock in the foreground was about 3 to 6 feet from the water's edge.

The only other time I've done the run was at 1050 and it was a snore with a lot of forward strokes to the takeout.

If you're looking for big water class three, go get it. Take pogies, water is cold.

PS - M-box full calorie, no way jose, meow, meow, meow. You'd get pushed into something bad, dark, and bone chilling. Dementors at the gates.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008   #4
crested butte, Colorado

....say that like a little kitty cat would and you get my callin' about the road closure see where they are at with it....i am one of the weakest kayakers out there but can't go to sleep or wake up without doing a 'VIRTUAL" run.....a mental test drive so to speak.....and always the same conclusions.....problems below beach camp.....problems above beach camp...problems above TTTTRIPLE DDROP....juice in the NARROWS BOULDER GARDENS(ain't talkin' bout a juice stand).....the "HOT ZONE" could be unrunnable.....a so called portage fest turned PORTAGE FESTIVAL '08....who knows?..... i wanna know.....jrmeowmeow420cb...
Old 05-05-2008   #5
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Milo....You missed a great Escalante run...2 laps.....and East Portal is OPEN, but you have to hike from the picnic area to the river!! Go get it done and tell us all about the killer flows.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #6
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
I would like to be part of this portage fest Milo.
A kayak assisted hike sounds great.
I want more than anything to see the canyon at the flow.

Give me a call if you go down there and want company.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #7
Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 98
yes, the HOT ZONE could be scary but if things got too bad you could always head back up and hike out the SOB. I never did it but i would probably blow. But before that you get to worry about the big holes and as milo indicated the "class 3++ above triple drop".

hmmmm...what's that there 18 footer look like at 3700 cfs...take a picture.
Witness Buoyancy News as it Develops:
bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #8
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
SOB or Cruse gully would go if it was really bad down there.

I have made the walk of shame out SOB before but with 50lbs of climbing gear not a big kayak.

Hiking out either gully would suck but would not be impossible.

I have a friend who was climbing down there two weeks ago i will find out if he has any photos of the river.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008   #9
crested butte, Colorado

....just talked to my climber buddy who has been in the M-BOX the last 2 weekends(gulp noise)...."just green foam"...."a rapid from the 35ft falls/sieve past cave camp"..."the waterfall was not a waterfall anymore, it was just a(handmotions and funny climber attempts at whitewater sounds)"...."hard to sleep in the campground"...."YOU NEVER HEAR THE RIVER IN CAMP!..."the campground he is talkin' about is atop the OPEN n.rim......i am surfin' gunny then headin' to the north rim tonight to hike into DOOMSDAY CANYON in the morning....will be able to scout NEW RAPID to the GREAT FALLS ZONE below beach camp....will check on the muffin as's been in every day....jrmeowmeow420cb....
Old 05-12-2008   #10
crested butte, Colorado
...previously recorded....

.....LIVE:**THIS JUST IN**...."hello, Dick Cocktoastin here reporting live from MONTROSE colorado"...."reporting for ACCU-GNAR BROADCASTING SERVICE"....."well folks, it looks like we've got an isolated super-cell of GNAR located just minutes from MC DONALD'S family dining estabolishment"......"it seems to be stalled out in an "extremely low lying area"..."just north of town"...."it doesn't look to moving any closer to town but the ACCU-GNAR BROADCASTING SERVICE has posted a SEVERE TRAVEL ADVISORY in the affected area"....let's go to our correspondent, JR.RANGER 420CB at the scene".........(static noises, my ugly mug talkin' but no words comming out)....."thanks for tuning in folks"... so you've heard it...but don't understand it?...let me break it down into something you'll understand....''WHITE ROPE with a hoop in the end with 13 raps above the hoop".....rain kept me from droppin' in to foot scout below the beach.... what i saw from the north rim overlooks is as follows....from RICKY'S DROP to the beach camp was pretty much a solid rapid of DOOM....this includes the HOT ZONE(DOUBLE TROUBLE, LOWER INTESTINE,THE ASSHOLE, DON'T MISS THE EDDY(the 3++ above TRIPLE DROP), TRIPLE DROP, PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE, THE PLAYGROUND, COWBOY, KATIES HOLE and THE NARROWS BOULDER GARDENS(i could not see these but can only assume they were big and connected to the runout of COWBOY).....the NARROWS PINCH area was fast and flushing over the big sieve-pot-mess...full steam ahead to NEW RAPID(this will change for sure as you can see that the shore line has been eroded by ten feet in depth)...old logs that come down those gulley washes have been sent down river...we'll see where they end up.....from NEW RAPID-CORNER POCKET-PILLOW MOVE-BALL CRUSHER-LOST BOY SLOTS to the WATERFALL(sound of a grown man pukin') and into the PORTAGE are very connected and fast(6+ or 7-)....some PORTAGE DROPS looked better than the regulars!!!... at the SECOND FERRY... the river is crushing is absolutley'd need climber friends to scamble down the SOB GULLEY, work there way onto a ledge system about 50-100ft above the river and pluck(z-drag) you(still in your boat) out of a walled off area(no shore line-area just down stream of the CAVE CAMP)....then what?...personally i feel the zone below BEACH CAMP would be vicious....couldn't see it without hikin' in...rain and those gulleys do not mix well.... too much rockfall....on a side note....NARROWS PINCH eddy---gone....BEACH CAMP---gone, under water...water is all the way back to the wall and trees...CAVE CAMP---couldn't see but i think it is under water...the OLD GROWTH log that spans the river at the end of PRINCIPALS OFFICE is at water level @3200cfs!!! even at normal high flows it cannot be touched with an extended arm and paddle as you cruize under it!!! put-in road is open as is the NORTH RIM CAMPGROUND......after 8 hours of viewing and sending smoke signals to the river comes down to this.... a series of DEATH FERRY'S between the drops of only a few would be realistic....get plucked out by climbers...then back to hiking, praying and death ferrying......not my CUP OF TEA......would be amazing to see it from river level.....SO, THE TRUTH IS the canyon truely is unrunnable above 3G....unless you have dumb climber friends that do just what you ask of them and/or just recently tested positive with HIV!!!!!the viewing not worth the risk....i can let people with LARGE WATER appetites know when it looks better(survivable).....BACK TO YOU dick..."thanks for tuning in...i'm DICK COCKTOASTIN with "special needs" reporter-jr,ranger420CB.....this information has been brought to you from the ACCU-GNAR BROADCASTING SERVICE....and was paid for by the BLACK CANYON INN-which features the UNDERCUT CAFE', the BETTER BOOF IT BALLROOM and the always happenin' SIEVE-POT SALOON.beepbeep...back to our regular program-"ONE LIFE TO LIVE"....(oh, johny i cant live without either sandy...sounds of kisses.....)