Old 07-15-2011   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1973
One-legged olympian myth?! What the? Was Rada a gimp? That's funny and maybe just coincidental.....I'm a BK amputee with 4 visits to the Gimp'o Lympics. For sure I was not some mythical first descenter, we were just a couple dirt bag boaters from Laramie in the middle of nowhere. In the backs of our minds was the thought that maybe nobody knew about the whitewater potential of the Laramie, but after all the recon and then our run down the upper section, like any fanatic paddler I pulled out the good old AWA journals for the umpteenth time and tracked down Rada's articles. As the years passed with the prospect of little to no water in the lower canyon, my interest (and skill level!) faded......

Thanks for posting the archives and good luck in the canyon.

riomapas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #12
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
Dennis Horning, (Laramie Range climber extraordinaire) is the source of the one legged olympian story. Cool to hear where it probably came from.
Dave, I think windows in there are more frequent than people think. It has ran for 2 months plus this year so far, and around 2 months last year. Any early season release from the wheatland reservoirs that are just to open room for runoff seem to go through the Laramie as opposed to Bluegrass. The quality is up there, and we have public land on both ends; so who knows, maybe somewhere down the road AW could even pull a couple strings for us and get us a scheduled weekend or something. I'll be taking pictures like crazy to back up what's in there.

Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #13
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
[QUOTE=RiverWrangler;240638]Isn't Rada the author of the Minnesota guidebook?]

Yep, Jim put together all kinds of information into the upper midwest paddling bible which was published as "Northwoods Whitewater" in 2006. Steve Stratman did an awesome job getting it all put together into a quality book describing runs in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ontario and Michigan. Want a sweet, clean 30'er to run? Get to the Baptism River in Minnesota and drop Illgen Falls, first run by Fearless Fred Young in a C1. I missed my chance to run the Presque Isle in Michigan during a June rainstorm last year. Paddling the Presque Isle in a warm June rain - sounds amazing.

ibyakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Illgen is highly recommended, as are the rest of the north and south shore creeks. Illgen is actually my avatar.
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #15
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Nice work! That looks and sounds like a great trip!

Funny thing, after reading the Rada article, I flipped the page to p. 24 only to find the next article called "Where Toucans Dare" which is awkwardly similar to the rapid that you all nicknamed, "Where Eagles Dare."

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote