Mountain Buzz banner

Lake Powell releases

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  86304 
#1 ·
Are there any thoughts on what the march releases will be into the Grand ? they have been running it @ 8-16K for most of the winter, but it seems to be ramping down this last week or so. Given the lack of snow out there, are they starting to hold water back? I mean Vegas will need it's fountains right

#2 ·
From Bureau of Reclamation, the dam people:

In February, the release volume will likely be about 600 kaf, with fluctuations throughout the day from about 8,000 cfs in the early morning to about 14,000 cfs in the evening. In March, the release volume will likely be about 600 kaf with daily fluctuations for hydropower between approximately 7,000 cfs and 13,000 cfs.

#9 ·
You can also refer to the plans in the 24-month study for projected releases for the upcoming water year. Keep in mind that this will give you an idea of what the releases are planned to be, but are by no means firm, as the forecasted runoff is changing as we accumulate (or don't accumulate!) snowpack.

http://www.usbr.gov/uc/wcao/water/rsvrs/studies/lpr_24month.html

--
Susan Novak Behery, P.E.
Hydrologic Engineer
Reclamation
Western Colorado Area Office
Durango, CO
sbehery@usbr.gov
970-385-6560

#11 ·
awesome time of year to go. have fun. I did the march/april trip 2 years ago and perfect weather, especially for a guy from red lodge. we had flows at around 16-20,000 cfs. warm sunny days, rainy days, one day of hail/snow. I do remember gettin' hot on a few days near the end. Enjoy!

#14 ·
Hi Mark, you are good on the temps, and since it's the swing season and could be snowing at Lee's Ferry and comfortably hot in the western end, you might consider bringing both your summer gear of shorts, sarong and long sleeve shirts and winter gear of bomber rain gear or dry suit with polypro or wool hat and gloves, with top and bottom fleece x 2. In my book, especially during the swing season, there is nothing wrong with bringing too much warm and hot stuff and getting to the end of the trip having not used everything. All the best, tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.