Old 01-23-2007   #1
Lake Creek Question

What is the story on the low water pic of paralyzer? Was that a park and huck on one rapid at low water or is Lake Creek runnable way lower than suggested minimums?

I scouted Lake Creek last year on my way from the Arkansas over to the Roaring Fork and it was "below minimum" but was clearly runnable however it was still much higher than the pic on this link. Are locals running it really low? Thanks-

dooleyoc-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
That pic is of the first drop on the right line of paralyzer. And all of the other shots in this article are from the same day; the flow was 130CFS. It's more of a park n huck thing, but you can scrap down from the brains to the cauldron - which we did that day- but it is just really boney. One of the reasons we would just scrap down was because it was more of a pain in the butt to load all of the boats to drive down to the cauldron. the cauldron at low flow is a very fun park n huck. I would say that these low levels are only worth doing if you happen to be in the area. The reason we would go up there was because not much else is going on in late July and we only lived 30 minutes from it.

Recommended flows for Lake Creek in CFS.

150 and under: park n huck -- brains, paralyzer, cauldron

150 - 250: The lower stuff is a great flow for a first timer. Upper stuff is too low.

250 -350: just run from right above the brains down to the cauldron. the drops are fun and managable. Kiss the wall is the only drop that is a little bit sketchy.

350-500: It starts becoming worthwhile to go up to the upper stuff(NIMBY, Tombstone) at about 350CFS. The lower stuff starts getting big and pushier. 400 is probably considered the perfect flow. I love the lower stuff at about 300 to 350.

500 and up: Upper stuff is fun. very few people run the lower stuff past this level. the usual suspects that seem to have fun past this level are boaters the Selby, Keller, etc.

Hope this info helps.

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #3
Great info. Do you have a link to the on-line gauge? Thanks-
dooleyoc-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999

it is also on this page under the Arkansas drainage...
marko is offline   Reply With Quote