Old 04-30-2009   #11
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
where are good put-ins/take-outs for the upper run?

steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #12
The next zone, .
Ok the low down on the upper.

The put in is at the source or where the tunnel comes out of the hill.... It is about 10 miles above the paralyzer. There is a dirt road that takes you 200 yds down by the river and is the only road that is on the river left side after the S. fork road comes in. Another way to tell if you have gone too far up is you will be lookin at a creek with 800+ cfs in it then if you go too far you will look over and there will be a creek with 100 cfs in it. The put in road is not well marked but is not hard to find either. If I go up tonight I will post the mile marker where the put in is... I also have seen quite a few campers here as there are a few good spots right by the creek.

What to worry about... 2 rapids tombstone gorge and the real nimby.. Both are class v and can be walked. Tombstone is right above where the s fork comes in and nimby is just below the lake creek proper put in.. You can scout tombstone on the way up but you cant scout nimby until you get there.. Due to private property.. Scout and walk nimby on the river left you do walk right by a house but the owners are cool as long as we respect their land...

The best flows up there are 800+ and it is best with 1000+cfs..... Now this is a smaller type creek and has 600+cfs of unnatural flow in it so you do get to spots with very few eddies and there are logs including one on a blind corner right above the old toaster... Also above say 1800 - 2000cfs there are miles with no eddies and at these flows the entire run is IMO class V..

I am sure a few more logs will move around. Once you get up there you will know what I am talking about cause the entire run has old lumber on the sides so a total clean of the upper is impossible. A few of us do our best to keep it boatable..

Take out is at or below brains.. Brains can be run higher than the other big 4 just know if it is super high that the last eddie on the river left is about half a mile above brains pass it and it is hard to stop.

Finally there is a river wide ledge drop at the 1st campground that you come to.. Run it river left and hit a late boof or you will swim... It can be scouted from the campground but you may have to pay for a camp site to scout it... At flows above 1500 or so well it has only been run a few times and the last eddie above it is over half a mile so again know where it is at or you will be in for quite the ride.

I dont claim to be a cutch or evan so if any of this is not clear let me know or pm me and I will give you any other beta that you are lookin for..

Also due to the length it is best to have someone who has run this before but it also should not be a problem for a group of solid boaters..

Hope it helps.

Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote