Old 05-07-2004   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Lake Creek...good to go

We just ran Lake Creek this evening and its good to go. There is some wood in places. The top of the Cauldron (last big drop) has one log in it at the top of the entrance. Same place as usual. But this year there is only 1 log thanks to the efforts of JV and local Buena Vista friends. These guys spent a lot of effort trying to make this drop runnable without having to get out and walk around this entrance. It might blow out with higher flows. The log has a 3/4 cut in the middle of it from a chain saw. We hope that the higher flows will break it. But for now make sure to get out at the bridge where the gauage is and scout on river right. You wouldn't want to float into the entrance blind and get stuck on the log. The exit out of the cauldron is clean. So put in below the log and enjoy the cauldron.

There is a log across the section above the Brains (about 1/4 mile above)but can be run on the center left side. (Use caution) It is right after the nasty river wide hole by the campground (the class 4 section above brains and below Toaster) FYI, this campground hole, as we call it, sucks beat the crap out of me and I swam. Just keep your heads up and do not lilly dick into ANYTHING!!!! That was my lesson learned tonight.

We only ran the 3/4 section so I can't give you beta about the upper stuff (Toaster, NIMBY or Tombstone) Brains is good to go. Paralyzer is good to go. Jed Selby styled both the right line and then walk up and and styled the left line. (the left line is HAIRY)

From Kiss Me down to the Cauldron is also very clean. Make sure to watch out for another class 5 hole shortly after Kiss Me. It WILL beat you down until you start crying for no more. I didn't swim out of this one but did nearly break my nose from the violent impact across the shaft of my Woody paddle...definitely a gusher but no broken nose.

As this creek comes up wood will definitely start coming down so be on your toes and ask for beta or do some scouting

Also, we are pretty sure the gauge might be wrong. We think it is running lower than it actually is. I will try to get back on that one.

In case you are wondering....YES, I did feel the wrath of Lake Creek. I call it a good learning experience but some people just call it "The Beat Down" DO NOT second guess this creek. I used to under rate the in between stuff until I took a beat down. However I am looking forward to getting back up there for round 2. At the very least I won't forget where the 2 nastiest holes are on the river...HA

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004   #2
Ski Patrol
lake creek

I would love to get on Lake but i have only scouted it. Please give a shout out if anyone is making a late afternoon or evening run.

DeLiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004   #3
The next zone, .
Yep its good to go – the dwr gauge is not right – I am not sure what is up but it said that it was 500cfs up there last night about dark and it was more like 250cfs – the visual gauge said 2.6 and this is not 500cfs - ?????? – I may be able to go up again tonight about 5 or so not sure – marco or mike are you up for a run?? Mike if you come up bring T-MO-INC. -
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004   #4
Ski Patrol

If you can go Im down for a run tonight
Give me a call a few hours in advance if you could because I have to drive from Summit

970 668 0517
DeLiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004   #5
Hey MarkO

What's up man? That sounded like a fun trip report....

Hope that nose heals up.

JakeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
What's up Jake!! How are things in NC? Is being a business owner still giving you time to paddle? I hope you are doing well. Are you gonna make a CO trip this summer?

The nose is good...its still straight.

Jake, keep in touch, I still have the same email or you can get a hold of me at CKS.

marko is offline   Reply With Quote