Old 08-25-2009   #11
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
"Jones Creek has lots of little guys, but is really tight with tons of overhanging branches.
A shorter rod would be good for the creek"

It's Jones Hole, but the creek is Bishop Creek, unless they changed the name recently.

A once upon a time local.

swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009   #12
I wonder when they changed it. All my maps and the hatchery website says Jones Hole Creek with Ely creek coming in halfway down. couldn't even find a reference to a Bishop creek in UT on a search. interesting hearing from an old school local.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #13
pine, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Go on 4 day float without your flyrod-NOT. Did this stretch in July, would suggest to just bring a small flybox with few attractor patterns-dont forget streamers. After floating 25+ miles of flat water through beautiful canyons it's nice to get a chance to catch some trout. I had luck catching 14"-18"ers tugging buggers in the river where the creek dumps in. Could have stayed there for hours but had to try to stay with the group ( I was carrying the shitter), so only gave it about an hour while the group ate lunch. As for the rest of the river I didn't fish at all but it was big and brown when we ran it. Wish I would have hiked to falls and Petrographs but hell I like fishing and didn't have time, it would be bitchin' to have Jones Hole as your camp and you could do it all.
class 3 felon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #14
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Last fall, we had the most perfect trip EVER on Lodore - great flow, clean lines and beautiful sunsets. Perfect, that is, up until 2 of our trip members decided to try fishing the creek at Jones Hole without a Utah fishing license. The very nice ranger wrote them citations at the takeout, to the tune of $137 each. So, if you're thinking of fishing at Jones Hole, it turns out to be much cheaper to buy a Utah fishing license. And, by the way, they didn't catch anything but a lot of grief
CWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #15
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
There's really no excuse NOT to get a Utah license. You can buy it online. Too easy, and much cheaper than risking a ticket.
You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009   #16
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
I found the following on a website:

Major Powell named the creek here Bishop Creek after his chief topographer on the 1871 expedition.

The Ecological Angler - Fly Fishing Jones Hole Creek

I dunno. Maybe calling it Bishop Creek was just an affectation by the guys I used to fish with there.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009   #17
Go Early(2-3 days) and fish the A & B section below Flaming Gorge Dam. It is one of the great blue ribbon trout fisheries of the west. There are several improved camp sites in the B section. Then float on to Lodore and enjoy the trip, every time I go I see more and diffrent sites, usally to much going on or have a ornge river that limits the fishing, but always some thing interesting to do or see.
dport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #18
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I caught lots of Cats in the main river. No trout. Hooked a few beautiful trout high up on Bishop (Jones Hole) Creek off both nymphs and small dries.

jbarnow is offline   Reply With Quote