Old 11-10-2012   #1
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Kokatat Tropos T3 Swift Entry Dry Suit

I recently found a website called which is selling new kokatat tropos t3 swift entry dry suits for sale for $366. The problem for me is that they do not have an overskirt/ double tunnel for sealing water out of your skirt and kayak. My question is has anyone ever heard of using a very large paddle jacket on top of the drysuit in order to keep water out of you kayak? or if not what do you think of this idea?

Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I used to have a NRS drysuit without a sprayskirt tunnel and would wear a shorty semi drytop over it when kayaking. It worked pretty good, keeping the water out. For the price savings I think it would be a good way to go. On a side note, I had some friends buy drysuits from kayak academy and were very happy with the condition they came in.

salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012   #3
Waha, Ida'maho
Paddling Since: 01
honestly I never much cared for the tunnel on a full drysuit and never felt they really keep that much water out. if all your gear mates really well and can get snug you shouldnt see much water in the boat. that and I think tropos fabric is like wearing a garbage bag.
Simply in between swims
floatingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #4
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to CFlem18
My drysuit does not have a tunnel and I really dont have any issues with water in my boat, just make sure you got a killer skirt
CFlem18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #5
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Cinch up the lower strap on your PFD tight over your tunnel.

Beg/borrow/steal/work a few more shifts/sell some weed/rake some lawns/shovel some driveways and spring for the GTX suit with a lifetime warranty. Tropos doesn't breathe nearly as well, and when it's 10+ years old, it'll be nice to see a new suit coming if necessary instead of shopping again.

GTX is also nice when the water is frigid and the air is warm. A lot more comfortable than a drytop/wetsuit that is too hot in the air and too cold in the water.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #6
Jenks, Oklahoma
what I have been doing for years is use one of those neoprene wraps probably 6 inches wide with velcro on one end, to wrap around my spray skirt tunnel / dry suit junction. I got mine at one of the big box sports stores. I think they are advertised as an aid to "melt fat off" when you work out. I do not think the thing helps getting rid of the fat but it does help keep water out.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote