Old 10-11-2012   #21
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by stubby View Post
As for the colors Kevin, I've heard the bright flashy attracts the cougars...ala Josh's mom
No shit? That changes everything...

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #22
Boulder, Colorado
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Yes, I was more than a little embarrassed to even admit to considering fashion with respect to my kayaking attire, but that thing is more than construction cone orange, it's nuclear fallout radiated construction cone orange. I do acknowledge Campbell's point about it doing double duty.

Anyway, I'm much relieved that it can be ordered in any color. What the concern about the plastic zipper - that it's not as durable as the metal one? Guess I'll put my faith in Kokatat's bomber warranty policy.

In terms of it letting in water, yes obviously it's not that big of a deal, but some of us are anal. A gallon of water is like 8 1/2 pounds or something, right? And I hate the feeling of water sloshing around my feet. It's a personal problem.

To answer the question above, lots of people have theorized that the zipper creates a gap in the skirt that allows water to come in when you're being frequently submerged. Yes, there's a tunnel on GMER suits, but if you're constantly going deep through holes, you're going to get water pressure trying to push water through the tunnel. As I said, I became convinced that it was very significant after doing back to back to runs, one with a drysuit and one with a drytop and watching gallons of water pour out of my boat from the drysuit run and almost nothing after the drytop run.

Yeah Paul, the Nomad is exactly why I have to minimize all other boat leakage, else I might just sink.
I don't think the zipper lets in water, my murse educated brain thinks that the legs on the drysuit hold water then when in your boat it leaks back into the boat. Try not getting your legs/shoes wet and see if that helps.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #23
The zipper let's in some water, but I've found it to be insignificant compared to how much wet shoes brings in.
Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #24
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Jackson is super anal about how much water is in the boat while playing in a feature. I'm thinking the average paddler doesn't care about the difference.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #25
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have a Kokotat with the front zipper and I don't notice that I get that much water in my boat. Maybe go with a tigher skirt tunnel? Of course I don't actually ever kayak, so it would be hard to get a lot of water into my boat when it just sits in my garage.

Kayak less often = less water in the boat. Should take care of it.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #26
Indian Hills, Colorado
I'd like a color changing mood suit. Blue for calm and red for horny should cover it. Maybe that's what the arm patches are for on the new Kokotat.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #27
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
I wouldn't give up on Kokatat yet guys. They do make some great products, new pfd and shorty and the standard but check this out, They will be coming out with a web enable customer dry suit. Where you can pick size, color, difference between metal and plastic zipper as well as choosing which materials to use, etc, etc!

Absolutely stepping up the industry. They got a new fan
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #28
Mad Scientist/Creeker
Personally I'm not buying the water coming in through my zipper bump. KSC, first you're talking about testing your suit on Bailey, then you're talking about deep holes; the two are mutually exclusive. I'm gonna agree with Tom that more comes in just on your legs, under your ankle guard, in your shoes etc. When you step in the boat directly from the water I shit ton of water pours off. I've done this test and been bone dry in my boat if I don't step in the water. My shoes are dry my boat is dry.

As for the new Kokatat stuff, it is going to be the bomb. For the serious wilderness creekboater you're still going to want the real deal metal zipper and you just can't put the metal zipper on the back - too uncomfortable + most people can't get them zipped on their own. I wouldn't want to be remote multi-day with the plastic zipper because of the greater risk of failure. If you're more into roadside runs, playboating and shorter day runs the Icon with back zipper entry is going to be badass. The plastic zippers should be lubed and babied even more than metal ones.

The best part, whatever you get from Kokatat is now going to be totally customizable on their site. The alien puke orange Jackson nightmare is basically just their custom suit that they're offering to everybody... cause everybody wants to wear what the Jacksons are wearing... or not, so you can pick your color, zipper type (front or back), cordura reinforcement or full cordura legs, and if you want you can even get it custom tailored.

+ Kokatat has a lifetime warranty, made in the US of A, water tested and ya, I'm kind of cheerleader for this shit but I can't really understand why you wouldn't at least want a Kokatat dry suit, even if you can't afford it. Your shit breaks or starts to leak, you send it back, you get it fixed for free or a small charge, including servicing and replacing the plastic zippers. Nobpody else can really do that because they're made in China. That alone is worth it for me.
Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #29
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
On my last suit I was up to $40 for two trips back for 350+ patches. They probably lost money on my abuse of that suit, but made up a little when I just got a new one.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #30
don't bogart that
Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Fixed Mine

reconditioned an old suit for less than $40 bucks in less than three weeks, Kokatat is awesome!

rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote