Old 05-21-2007   #1
Knowles Canyon Fire

On Sat, 19 there was a 60 acre fire at the mouth of Knowles Canyon on the Ruby/Horsethief Canyon stretch of the Colorado. I was the trip leader for the group that was camped there. The fire is under investigation by the BLM. I do not think that my group started the fire because of the precautions we took. We poured water on our firepan the night before and it had been dead out for 8 hours. Our stove was shut off and unhooked from the propane. We left in the morning to hike up knowles and did not see any smoke untill we had gone 4-6 miles (2 or three hours) up the canyon. We turned around and headed back. After 2 hours down, we came to the mouth and the fire was mostly done burning.
As for the damage, the fire mostly burned the cheat grass and brush, on the hills back from the river. It looked like most of the cottonwoods survived. I am not an expert but I imagine the area will look great again next spring.

Most importantly, I would like to thank the BLM fire fighters and pilots for risking thier lives and keeping my family safe. And absolutely most important, I would like to thank the group that risked themselves to save most of our gear. My entire family can not thank you enough for your help and bravery, without you our camp could have been a total loss. If anyone in the group would like to contact me I would like to thank you in person please write me at To anyone who would like to flame me, please do it on this thread and not on my email account, I would appreciate it.
Finally, I would like to say that my entire family feels horrible about this. It is very upsetting to even think that this could be our fault, even though we took the necessary precautions to prevent a fire. I can only hope that this special place will recover and we can all enjoy it again soon.

Tony LaGreca

tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #2
Just remember there are many other things that can start a fire. Sun reflecting off of a metallic object or shining through a bottle or pair of glasses can be enough to start something. I am sure the area will be back to normal after a few good rainfalls, there is planty of evidence of previous fires in the area.

I know alot of people like to have campfires and stuff when they are out camping but I have pretty much come to a point where it doesn't really matter to me and the only time I even think about it is while camping in a developed campground. We typically do that section in July or August and it has allways been so dry that almost anything could set off a fire.
cma is offline   Reply With Quote