Old 03-28-2011   #11
What's the advantage of having a separate ash can versus putting a little water in the ashes and dumping them in with the trash? I've heard people mention ash cans here before but didn't get why.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #12
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I usually start out the fire pan with sprinkle of sand and then make first camp. The sand keeps the bottom of the fire pan from warping.

At the end of the burn, there are usually some good pieces of charcoal that can be reused. So this is gathered and reused along with the ash/sand mix as the start of the next fire. Each time the ashes get reused, burning down to a very fine powder (Which is great by the way for compost). I prefer to return nutrients to the soil instead of to a landfill, but that might just be a NW mindset.

Reusing the ashes also acts as a protective layer on your fire pan - hence no need to add more sand to the mix at the start of each burn.

You have to pack out your garbage anyhow, finely burnt ashes take up considerably less volume (and weight) than partially burnt wood.

As a plus, having a separate ash can also allows for hot coals which might normally burn through whatever you are using for a trash bag (likely in some other container like empty cooler, ammo can, action packer, or your designated watertight container). Sometimes if cold I will get a fire going in the morning while waiting for breakfast and loading of the boats.

If the remnants of the fire are not completely doused, they are instead put in a metal tin (externally cooled in the water even?) and then suffocated they make excellent charcoal ...

the tin would hold a seal (I think) expecially if the bucket is held upright. The 5gal bucket could have a slight bath of water in it to keep it from melting or the tin from warping as the warm ashes (and charcoal) cool ...

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #13
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
has anyone tried using a lightweight "christmas style" popcorn tin as their ash can? I was thinking this could easily fit in a 5 gallon bucket with gamma lid, and the popcorn makes a great gift for your coworkers Trying to avoid the weight of the 20lb ammo can ...
Good idea. Did a search on "fireproof ash bag" and came up with this: Storm King Mountain Technologies - Ash bag

Might get one myself....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #14
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Whoa- they make a soft sided firepan:

Storm King Mountain Technologies - Camp FireKeeper fire rings

Not sure the ranger would let you through with one, but cool nonetheless. Relatively cheap too.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011   #15
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Looks like a great fire pan to bring along, if there were a fire ban and you had to bring one anyway.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011   #16
Moab, Utah
Here is the specific language from the Westwater Private Use stipulations... often folks use a metal oil change pan they are inexpensive and meet the stipulations. I hope that this information helps...

f. a durable metal fire pan at least 12 inches wide with at least a 1.5 inch lip around its outer edge and sufficient to contain fire and remains. Fire pans must be carried, on all overnight trips and all trips (except single-day trips April 1 through October 31) even if stoves are to be used for cooking. All fires must be contained in the fire pan. Fire blankets under fire pans are recommended to facilitate total ash removal.

River Use Stipulations - Westwater Canyon
Jennifer Jones
Outdoor Recreation Planner Moab BLM
BLM_Moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011   #17
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
old thread is old, I know.

I was wondering if there were specific guidelines on fire blanket size? or a commonly accepted size?

thinking of cutting up an old fire shelter, anybody done that?

Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote